Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield EMP 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Springfield EMP 9mm

I was looking for a gun to meet several criteria and bought a used Springfield EMP 9mm with G10 grips. The criteria was: compact 1911, stainless slide, 9mm caliber, around $1,000 budget. I like to shoot my guns and wanted a caliber I could afford to buy in quantity. I wanted the stainless slide so that it would be less likely to scratch up. I also wanted a fairly respected brand that would be likely to hold up with a lot if use. My local range called me when this used EMP was traded in to them. I picked it up for $950. It looks nearly unfired. Not a scratch or wear mark on it.

Well... After a little shooting it failed to go into battery... A lot. The slide would sort of hang back and move forward with a long hesitation. It also kept failing to lock back after the last round.

My dealer is sending it back to Springfield for me to see about fixing this problem. Am I correct in thinking that this has been a common problem with these guns but also that Springfield usually does an excellent job at fixing them and making them run right if returned to them for work?

image-1154095504.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

Beautiful!!!!!

Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Not sure about your issue, but congrats on the gun. My experience with SA customer service was excellent.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessRegard
Not sure about your issue, but congrats on the gun. My experience with SA customer service was excellent.
Thanks. Hopefully my experience will be good and the gun will come back working great. I hope so. I really like this gun and want it to work good so I'll keep it instead of having to trade it.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun
Beautiful!!!!!
Thanks! You'd never know it was used. If they get it working goof then I'd say I got a pretty good deal on it.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbolddm

Thanks! You'd never know it was used. If they get it working goof then I'd say I got a pretty good deal on it.
Good not goof.... I need to proof my typing before posting. Lol

Old 09-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 9mm emp and about 1200 rounds through it....can't remember it ever failing to cycle. I also like this gun and one of my better purchases. Been trying to find black rubber grips for it but as far as I can tell no one is making them.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It turns out that my local dealer had their gun smith do the work on the gun. I got the gun back a few days ago. 100 rounds fired through it and I had no problems at all. He said that the gun was very tight to the point that it would not cycle freely each time it was fired. Whatever he did it seems to have done the trick. It seems smooth as silk now. I am very relieved.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbolddm View Post
It turns out that my local dealer had their gun smith do the work on the gun. I got the gun back a few days ago. 100 rounds fired through it and I had no problems at all. He said that the gun was very tight to the point that it would not cycle freely each time it was fired. Whatever he did it seems to have done the trick. It seems smooth as silk now. I am very relieved.
I bet he replaced the recoil spring.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-07-2012, 01:41 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

They mentioned something about boring it out. I don't really know what that means. I did notice the inner part of the slide and the barrel were very polished up looking. The feed ramp too but I expected that would be done.