Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield Armoury 1911 Mil-Spec

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Default Springfield Armoury 1911 Mil-Spec

I've shot a few different guns and like the .45 caliber the best

I'm yet to shoot a 1911 but love the look of the Springfield 1911 mil-spec, was wondering if anyone had any reviews and useful info on them? Such as maintenance and general cost and availability for new/secondhand?

Cheers guys/gals

__________________
johnty1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty1911
I've shot a few different guns and like the .45 caliber the best

I'm yet to shoot a 1911 but love the look of the Springfield 1911 mil-spec, was wondering if anyone had any reviews and useful info on them? Such as maintenance and general cost and availability for new/secondhand?

Cheers guys/gals
P.s. I'm in in colorado
__________________
johnty1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

About to leave for work, I'll tell you a little about mine later. It's a great gun and I highly recommend it. Mine cost around 600.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Okay, I bought mine about a year ago. Actually, we celebrated our one year anniversary this past Valentine's day.

It's a great looking and shooting gun, and a great starter 1911. It's high quality yet inexpensive. I'm learning what I like/don't like and changing things as I go. I have small hands, so the arched MSH had to go. I couldn't keep a positive grip while shooting. I'm also going to change the grip safety to a beaver tail, I'll eventually change the sights, and I'll add an extended slide stop.

I got the parkerized finish, because I like the way it wears. I'm one who likes for my gun to tell my story. I've thought about having it blued, but decided to keep it as is. I've fallen in love with each little scratch and wear mark. That's not to say it's not durable though.

Have about 1K rounds through it with 3 FTFeeds. Those 3 came from a box of reloads that should have been rejected, but I ran them through just to see if my gun would choke. The three that choked it were 2 gold dot hollow points, and one cast lead ball with an OAL that was way too long. The rest of everything I've fed it has been bargain shelf ammo. Winchester white box, estate, tulammo, whatever I could get my hands on cheaply.

Pretty easy to break down and clean once you get used to it.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
limbkiller Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
freetobefree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 305
Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Okay, I bought mine about a year ago. Actually, we celebrated our one year anniversary this past Valentine's day.

It's a great looking and shooting gun, and a great starter 1911. It's high quality yet inexpensive. I'm learning what I like/don't like and changing things as I go. I have small hands, so the arched MSH had to go. I couldn't keep a positive grip while shooting. I'm also going to change the grip safety to a beaver tail, I'll eventually change the sights, and I'll add an extended slide stop.

I got the parkerized finish, because I like the way it wears. I'm one who likes for my gun to tell my story. I've thought about having it blued, but decided to keep it as is. I've fallen in love with each little scratch and wear mark. That's not to say it's not durable though.

Have about 1K rounds through it with 3 FTFeeds. Those 3 came from a box of reloads that should have been rejected, but I ran them through just to see if my gun would choke. The three that choked it were 2 gold dot hollow points, and one cast lead ball with an OAL that was way too long. The rest of everything I've fed it has been bargain shelf ammo. Winchester white box, estate, tulammo, whatever I could get my hands on cheaply.

Pretty easy to break down and clean once you get used to it.

I've had mine since this last valentines day... I've got 400 rnds thru it and only a few break - in hiccups that I believe to be pretty normal... I love the mil spec because I can make her my own.. change what ever I want or not... its very accurate out of the box ( as they say battle ready) ... I have the stainless its a beautiful gun and I've been very pleased with it... its easy to field strip and clean... very durable and reliable... I've got the ambi thumb safety on mine because I'm left handed... paid around 700 bucks... by far my favorite investment...
__________________
freetobefree is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

I didn't even have any break in hiccups. I use ball ammo almost exclusively though, except that box of reloads I bought. They were a motley assortment: lead ball, jacketed ball, lead hollow points, JSP, SWC, SWCHP, JHP... And I think at least one other I can't recall. It fed them all flawlessly except the three I mentioned. It even fed two of the gold dot JHP while failing to fed two others.

I'm pretty confident it'll eat almost anything I feed it, probably even factory gold dot JHP that some home demolitionist with 5 brain cells didn't load.

__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Thanks for the info greatly appreciated! I think this will be the gun for me!

I like the look of the mil-spec and black rather than stainless

As for clip holsters with the clip trigger guard I can seem to find many

Also what average cost for a second hand Springfield 1911 would I be looking and does anyone know of any that are for sale in the area?

__________________
johnty1911 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
freetobefree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 305
Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty1911 View Post
Thanks for the info greatly appreciated! I think this will be the gun for me!

I like the look of the mil-spec and black rather than stainless

As for clip holsters with the clip trigger guard I can seem to find many

Also what average cost for a second hand Springfield 1911 would I be looking and does anyone know of any that are for sale in the area?
I live next door to you in Utah... I don't know of any second hand springer 1911 anywhere... its a pretty wanted gun... one of the top 3 IMO... but if you found one is think 500 ish would be pretty fair depending on condition
__________________
freetobefree is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
freetobefree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 305
Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I didn't even have any break in hiccups. I use ball ammo almost exclusively though, except that box of reloads I bought. They were a motley assortment: lead ball, jacketed ball, lead hollow points, JSP, SWC, SWCHP, JHP... And I think at least one other I can't recall. It fed them all flawlessly except the three I mentioned. It even fed two of the gold dot JHP while failing to fed two others.

I'm pretty confident it'll eat almost anything I feed it, probably even factory gold dot JHP that some home demolitionist with 5 brain cells didn't load.
I'm very confident mine will eat whatever also... just to be clear the hiccups I encountered were all ammo issues... and operator error
__________________
freetobefree is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post

I'm very confident mine will eat whatever also... just to be clear the hiccups I encountered were all ammo issues... and operator error
I've limp wristed mine like I was in a drag competition just for the hell of it. still only those couple of misfeeds!
__________________
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
New Springfield Mil Spec SS With Pics SlightlyAddicted0311 1911 Forum 1 03-21-2012 01:29 AM
Springfield mil-spec? mossberg kid 1911 Forum 13 01-22-2012 06:30 AM
Springfield 1911 45acp Gi mil spec, compact griffin81 1911 Forum 5 10-23-2011 04:26 PM
New Springfield Mili-Spec Mico Compact 1911 Phelenwolf 1911 Forum 6 04-16-2010 01:48 AM
Springfield Armory Mil Spec The Godfather 1911 Forum 5 03-29-2009 07:54 AM