Springfield Armory Range Officer? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield Armory Range Officer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I put 150 rounds through the new RO yesterday. I shot 4 types of ammo, all 230 grain: TulAmmo (Russian steel-jacketed), S&B, Winchester (white box, semi-wad cutter), and Remington. The only hiccup was one failure to feed with the Winchester. Other than that, the gun never missed a beat. There was a noticeable difference in the accuracy among the bullets past 30 feet. At 50 feet to 75 feet (it was a 25 yd. range) all were acceptable - grouping within 3 inches, with the Remington being the most accurate.
I'm not making any definitive statements yet as this gun is not broken in, but I LOVE IT!!!! Smooth, comfortable, well balanced, easily managed recoil, great hand-feel and good looking. By the way, while not truly authentically 1911ish, it is tighter than a clam's butt. I am sure it will loosen some as it breaks in, but there is zero play in the slide.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #12

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP1394-RLTW View Post
Just as I was ready to put the money down he told me Merry Christmas and sold it to me for 499! I couldnt get it and get out the door fast enough!
Is there an open bench warrant on you because of that act of theft? And if not, why didn't you buy everyone they had in stock??

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #13

Well I felt the same way, unfortunately I am the only one bringing in a pay check and my wife is home with our two young boys. I had to beg for forgiveness on this one because I knew if I asked for permission it would have been shot down. Luckily I had just gotten a good size bonus check that left enough after my new toy for her to spend a little as well. Otherwise I do t think it would have happened!

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Is there an open bench warrant on you because of that act of theft? And if not, why didn't you buy everyone they had in stock??
Canebreak, looks like we are both in Fl. Would you recommend any smiths down here to checker the front strap and cut front cocking serrations? Do you think I would be better off sending it to SA?

Mala Malis Facimus

Last edited by RMP1394-RLTW; 02-18-2011 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Text

Old 02-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Canebreak, can you help me? Not trying to be a pest, just impatient like that!
Has anyone else had experience with SA's custom shop? Would any of you reccomend sending it somewhere else, either private smith or some other custom shop? As a disclamer, this is my first 1911 and funds are a bit of an issue. I wouldn't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars. Is that dueable or should I set my sights lower?

Mala Malis Facimus

Old 02-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I sent my MilSpec to SA custom for internal work. I had the innards deburred and fluffed, ramp polished, chamber & throat polished, feed ramp polished and a trigger job. It was a fairly quick turn around and wasn't too pricey. The people were pleasant to deal with on the phone as well.

As far as checkering and such, I would imagine that since it's their product, they're set up for all of that and it would be a pretty simple and quick operation.

Not that any good local machine shop couldn't do a good job, I'm just sayin'.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #17

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm with CA in this one. I would feel best about letting SA do the work on their own product.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maierar View Post
I put 150 rounds through the new RO yesterday. I shot 4 types of ammo, all 230 grain: TulAmmo (Russian steel-jacketed), S&B, Winchester (white box, semi-wad cutter), and Remington. The only hiccup was one failure to feed with the Winchester. Other than that, the gun never missed a beat. There was a noticeable difference in the accuracy among the bullets past 30 feet. At 50 feet to 75 feet (it was a 25 yd. range) all were acceptable - grouping within 3 inches, with the Remington being the most accurate.
I'm not making any definitive statements yet as this gun is not broken in, but I LOVE IT!!!! Smooth, comfortable, well balanced, easily managed recoil, great hand-feel and good looking. By the way, while not truly authentically 1911ish, it is tighter than a clam's butt. I am sure it will loosen some as it breaks in, but there is zero play in the slide.
Your right about being tight. I also bought one yesterday and just got back from shooting it. The pistol is a bargin for the price also. Shoots good out of the box. I only fired 100 rounds, but no malfunctions except the 2 Brolin Arms clips would not feed a round into the chamber for some reason. I found it odd, because they work fine in my Taurus PT1911 and Colt Lwt. Commander. I just had two boxes of Blazers one brass the other Alloy, they ran perfect. Just some plinking today at some old bowling pins, but I was whacking them at 25 yards just fine. Maybe next week I'll shoot it off of some bags at paper and see how accurate it is.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:49 PM   #19

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default Springfield RO, where?

I'd buy one online right away for $700.00. I just don't know where to look and get that kind of price. My gunshop, a little mom and pop I buy at, can't compete on Springfields prices from larger volume or some online places. If anyone has suggestions where to purchase, well thank you.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #20

Default Springfield R O

I bought mine last week at C Discount Guns out of Nixon, Texas. The cost was $749.00. I like dealing with the guy, always a fair price and fair trade-in prices also. You can do a dealer schearch on Davidson's web site and find him there.