Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Springfield Armory Range Officer? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/springfield-armory-range-officer-38248/)

stalkingbear 02-10-2011 03:41 PM

Springfield Armory Range Officer?

For those of you wanting an "economy" target/match/plinking gun check out the Springfield Armory's new Range Officer. While I haven't shot 1 personally yet, it offers the main features required for match guns. It offers a fully adjustable sight, match barrel, adjustable trigger, and tighter slide/frame fit. Based on what I know about Springfield Armory's 1911s I'm willing to bet it shoots very well indeed. It would require very little gunsmithing to use as a base for a serious match gun, or you could use it as is out of the box. There's no way you could start with a Mil-spec gun and build it to these specs for anywhere close to the same price-especially if you have to pay a gunsmith to do it. Heck, I'm thinking about getting 1 to use as a base build for myself. That should tell you something right there. So if you want a serious plinker or match/target pistol on a budget I suggest you look closely at the range officer. I'm sure Dave will be all over this.:D

NGIB 02-10-2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear
I'm sure Dave will be all over this.:D

Indeed I am watching these.

And let me echo Bear's comment - to try to turn a GI or a Mil-Spec into a Loaded (or Range Officer) will cost you MUCH more than just buying the Loaded (or Range Officer) in the first place. You will however makes folks like Bear (gunsmiths) very happy that you chose this path...

marshall 02-10-2011 04:14 PM

Do they come in 9mm? I'm looking for a 9mm 1911 for shooting range fun. Budget was 6-700 but i may have to drop an extra cent or two.
When and where are they out?

Still currently looking for my first 1911 and pistol.

stalkingbear 02-10-2011 04:18 PM

From what I understand they're in .45acp only at this time. Dave-I'm waiting until you get 1 and grow tired of it so I can buy/trade you out of it somehow:p.

danf_fl 02-10-2011 04:49 PM

With the exception of the adjustable sight, it looks like what I started competition with. (still have mine).

FCross7 02-10-2011 06:55 PM

Looks like it should be a pretty nice pistol. However, it just seems like another Loaded model to me. The only differences I could find were the adjustable sight, GI guide rod as opposed to the FLGR on the Loaded, and the absence of the ambi-safety.

-Fred

Dillinger 02-10-2011 07:15 PM

These were a big deal at SHOT. Had their own stand near the middle of the display. The fit and features are nice. I dislike the adjustable sights, but it seemed like a well put together piece of kit.

I think MSRP was around $950, so a master dealer or whatever Springfield calls them will probably be able to save you $100 or so, shopping on line might be even cheaper.

I don't know if it's the best pistol in it's price class, but it was one of the nicer, better feeling Springers that we played with at the show.

JD

RMP1394-RLTW 02-17-2011 02:24 PM

I bought a RO on christmas eve. I must say that I am nothing but happy with it. It is my first 1911, I have put close to a thousand rounds through it with no problems (I did have some FTF with reloads in the beginning but a hundred more of FMJ took care of that). Due to the cost of .45 ammo I am restricted to reloads only which is perfectly fine with me! Currently I am reloading for about .15 a round! The changes I ended up with are new adjustable XS big dot sights and thin grips. the bests part about the gun was the price, I had priced the gun for a month or so and the cheapest I could find it was 699. I found other stores that said their cost was around 850! I asked the origional place that I found the gun why the price was so good at 699, (I was about to drop the 699 and be happy with it anyway) they told me they do a good bit of volume with SA and since it was a new gun they got a brreak from SA. Just as I was ready to put the money down he told me Merry Christmas and sold it to me for 499! I couldnt get it and get out the door fast enough!

Thats my RO story, if anyone is looking at buying one I would highly reccomend it.

maierar 02-17-2011 04:16 PM

I just picked mine up yesterday. This AM was the required trip to the sheriff to register it on my license, a stop at the dollar store to get a bottle of front sight paint" (read daglow orange nail polish), and a thorough cleaning and relube. I'm going to the range this afternoon with 3 different brands of .45ACP and some 8 round mags from my other 1911. I'm really eager to road-test this one and compare it to other 1911s. Fit & finish is really impressive.

CA357 02-17-2011 04:42 PM

Screamin' deal RMP. :cool:

RMP and maierar, please post a range report when you can. We love range reports and pictures around here.