Springfield Armory GI .45-From where?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield Armory GI .45-From where?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Springfield Armory GI .45-From where?

I am looking at a Stainless Springfield Armory GI .45 at a local dealer here. However, it is stamped BRAZIL beneath the Genesco, Ill. on the right side. Does this indicate that the parts were made in Brazil and assembled in the US, or the other way around? I have assumed that the SA's were 100% American made and assembled. This is the only SA that I have seen like this so far.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Earlier frames came from Brazil, and the guns were assembled here. But don't let that bother you. Mine was used competition all over Europe every weekend and practice during the week for over 7 years. I have too many rounds through it to count. And the last time I shot it, it still put 5 rounds together at 15 yards. Replace the springs and check for abuse.

It is still a 1911 and a Springer.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

All Springer frames & slides are made by IMBEL in Brazil - always have been. Even the guns that don't have Brazil stamped on them still have IMBEL frames & slides. If more than 50% of assembly was done in the USA they won't carry the Brazil stamp. Nothing to worry about anyway as all service & warranty work is done here and Springfield has great customer service.

If the "Buy American" is bothering you, ever wonder how many foreign made parts and assemblies are in your Ford, Chevy. or Dodge?

Also, be aware that if you're looking at a true GI model - make sure you can live with the sights as they are a PITA to swap out unless you pay a smith to machine a dovetail in the slide for the front sight...

Last edited by NGIB; 08-26-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Old 08-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #4

Default Springfield 1911 GI .45

Thanks for the reply y'all.
I was mostly curious about the difference in the two that I saw. I will be going back to pick up one of them. I just like the gun and have heard good results about the SA, in any of its configurations.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Checkout CHLChris thread on what to look for:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/glock-1911-2010-odyssey-30715/index2.html

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If I were you, I'd move up a step from the GI. I had a GI model, and it was crap. Of three of us who bought GI models at about the same time (different dealers, though), two of us were very disappointed.

Springfield, as a company, was great to deal with. I sent mine back, and they replaced the extractor, polished the feed ramp, and worked on the chamber. It was better, but not something I wanted to rely on. I got rid of that thing ASAP. My friend ditched his too.

I want to get another 1911 sometime, but I won't go the cheap route this time.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs