Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield 1911 GI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't understand what the big deal is on this. My SA GI .45 is stamped "Made in Brazil" on the underside of the dust cover. I have a couple of thousand rounds through it and it is still sound and tight. There is nothing wrong with my "Made in Brazil" SA GI.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

It seems that at one time, Springfield did use some home grown frames, but stopped doing it & all frames, slides, etc. are from Brazil now, even if assembled here. Personally, it's a non-issue for me. I blame the politicians & the unions for the U.S. losing it's manufacturing. It's not the businesses' fault, they're just trying to survive all the taxes, regulations & union rules.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69
I don't understand what the big deal is on this. My SA GI .45 is stamped "Made in Brazil" on the underside of the dust cover. I have a couple of thousand rounds through it and it is still sound and tight. There is nothing wrong with my "Made in Brazil" SA GI.
And there won't be anything wrong with it. IIRC sistema is considered a very good quality 1911, and its all Brazilian. Its just that some people (me, for one) prefer an American gun built in America. Now, as I've told people, at least buying a gun IN America its still helping to feed American families...

Old 04-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
And there won't be anything wrong with it. IIRC sistema is considered a very good quality 1911, and its all Brazilian. Its just that some people (me, for one) prefer an American gun built in America. Now, as I've told people, at least buying a gun IN America its still helping to feed American families...

That's kinda the way I feel about it. If my money goes to an American company, I'm doing my part. I do try to avoid anything made in china.

Had a neighbor once that sold Toyotas. I was interested in a small pickup for for the company I worked for because the chevy S10s we had were junk, but was concerned about the 'made in America' thing. He explained that the Toyota pickups were ordered in as the bare bones chassis, engine, etc. All the accessories, including the tailgate were added here.

I also hear that the Toyota Sienna has a higher % of American made products in it that the Ford Mustang. My point is, you really don't know what you're getting these days. 'Made In America' doesn't mean what it used to mean.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 851 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 591

The NM guns are assembled in the US. If it doesn't have the NM in the # it is made in Brazil. The NM guns are usually put together better and the slides will be fit better. Some SA guys will not own a SA gun without the NM. I prefer SAs to have the NM as I have found quality usually is better.

USMC 74-78

Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I love my Croatian SA XD45. I LOVE my Norinco (china) SKS. I love my Czech CZ75b.

I FREAKIN ADORE my Ruger GP100, but if i found out my Ruger revolver was really made in brazil or croatia or some other place, i wouldn't like it as much. A .357 revolver like the GP100 is an American Icon (USA, not the rest) and wouldn't have that going for it if it said "made in brasil". I feel the same way about a 1911; it is an American icon that is better if it is made in the USA,by a native English speaker.

I don't give a rat's ass where my sneakers are made really, but when i finally find some decent cowboyish boots, they damn well better say "MADE IN THE USA".
(yes, i know that Argentina is big on the cowboy thing too)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #17

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

I don't know if that's entirely right, but I'm sure it's not entirely wrong. Mine is a non "NM" (or heck, maybe I need to take another look, shame on this Marine for not knowing his weapon's serial number...) but mine came with a tag that said "100% made and assembled in the USA"...

I'd be willing to bet money that some are slapped together in Brazil, or are forged in Brazil...but I simply don't know the full and most accurate story on that...sounds like another call to SA CS may be in order, but I don't feel like it. I've had the phone to my ear all day with lawyers, bankers, insurance people... Any one want to take it upon themselves to find out for us?
heh, I finally looked...mine IS an "NM" gun. Damn. I need to go back to the old days and memorize this number.