Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Springfield 1911 GI (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/springfield-1911-gi-62207/)

fox22 04-10-2012 04:29 AM

Springfield 1911 GI

Does anyone know where i can purchase a Springfield 1911 model GI 5" either in OD green or the Parkerized version. Im in Illinois or willing to purchase one online but im having trouble with finding one.

can anyone help?

danf_fl 04-10-2012 09:59 AM

Take a road trip and visit the SA custom shop.

Or look at doing a "Krylon" rebuild on a used one.

Gatoragn 04-10-2012 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fox22 (Post 766609)
Does anyone know where i can purchase a Springfield 1911 model GI 5" either in OD green or the Parkerized version. Im in Illinois or willing to purchase one online but im having trouble with finding one.

can anyone help?

Is there a Scheel's near you? The Scheel's in Appleton, WI usually has a couple in stock.

There is an LGS near me trying to sell a used parkerized GI Springer for $699 on consigment. Me thinks this one will be available for a long time. The same store has a Springer with Novak sights and Pachmar grips for $649.

limbkiller 04-10-2012 08:28 PM

Currently SA is so far behind on gun orders as is Ruger and others because of the coming election they are not taking any orders from anyone. They hope to start taking orders in late May on certain guns. Unfortunately the GI isn't one of them. Good luck finding one.

chucksolo69 04-11-2012 05:37 PM

Yes, very hard to find an SA Gi .45 these days. I bought mine 4 years ago at my LGS for $508.00 OTD. Mine is green parkerized.

gollygee 04-11-2012 07:27 PM

I don't know when they stopped making them, but last time I visited the Springfiedl website, they no longer listed the GI series. That'll mean they will be even harder to find & could drive the price up. Their 'Mil Spec' was a better deal for the money.

limbkiller 04-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee (Post 768043)
I don't know when they stopped making them, but last time I visited the Springfiedl website, they no longer listed the GI series. That'll mean they will be even harder to find & could drive the price up. Their 'Mil Spec' was a better deal for the money.

They haven't stop making them. They are just behind as I said earlier. When things smooth out they will be available again.

trip286 04-11-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limbkiller

They haven't stop making them. They are just behind as I said earlier. When things smooth out they will be available again.

They HAVE quit making them. They MAY begin production on them again if they feel there is enough demand (personally I think there is), but there have been no promises. As of now, they are intending the milspec to be the "replacement".

I found this out by calling SA customer service when I was shopping for my first 1911. I just went with the milspec instead of the gi which I really wanted. So far, I'm thrilled. The one big difference between the two, other than the obvious, is that (I believe, don't quote this as the gospel) the gi is supposedly the only one made by SA with a cast frame and slide, and in Brazil. The milspec (again, don't take for gospel) is the "lowest" end made by SA with a forged frame and slide, and in the US.

gollygee 04-12-2012 04:52 PM

I think only some of the Mil-Specs may be assembled in the U.S. If I remember correctly, those with "NM" prefix in the S/N are U.S. assembled.

trip286 04-12-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee (Post 768895)
I think only some of the Mil-Specs may be assembled in the U.S. If I remember correctly, those with "NM" prefix in the S/N are U.S. assembled.

I don't know if that's entirely right, but I'm sure it's not entirely wrong. Mine is a non "NM" (or heck, maybe I need to take another look, shame on this Marine for not knowing his weapon's serial number...) but mine came with a tag that said "100% made and assembled in the USA"...

I'd be willing to bet money that some are slapped together in Brazil, or are forged in Brazil...but I simply don't know the full and most accurate story on that...sounds like another call to SA CS may be in order, but I don't feel like it. I've had the phone to my ear all day with lawyers, bankers, insurance people... Any one want to take it upon themselves to find out for us?