Springfield 1911 A1 Value? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield 1911 A1 Value?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #21
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Well,if you could use a hand drill with a polishing wheel and some rubbing compound on the ramp,maybe you could have a very reliable firearm.
Every mfg of every type of product has problems-it's from lazy ass people that expect Rolls Royce quality at a Yugo price mentallity. No one wants to do anything on their own anymore,and then bitches when the product they buy doesn't perform like a handmade,fit/finished work of art from a skill master craftsman.
If your Springfield jams,spend some time or money to fix it,or buy a Ed Brown,Wilson,or other $2000+ 1911 and then you won't have that problem.

Sorry about the rant,but I get tired of people saying that this & that are pieces of crap when they expect perfection for a discount price and don't just get off their butts and solve the problem on their own.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Seeing as how the original question was what do people think of or what is the value of a Springfield 1911 A1, it struck me that the opinion of someone who actually owns one might be relevant. Then, another person asked me the basis of my opinion.

However, I am well and truly rebuked by a Texas Hillbilly. I never would have thought of the idea of spending more money or learning gunsmithing in the hope it would fix the problem. Thank you for straightening me out. Say "hi" to your wife / sister / aunt for me.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #23
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Ha Ha Ha, I guess I touched a sore spot with you 741512th. It wasn't anything against you personally. I have a Springfield 1911 and it is a very well built and shooting handgun. I own/have owned several brands of 1911's and unless you pay for quality,you don't get all the bells and whistles that go into making a great 1911 pistol.
It's just every time someone wants to know opinions about a certain brand/type of gun,there is always someone that says they are a POS,just because the one they had didn't work the way they thought it should.
I've got several 22lr rifles and pistols that will jam and stovepipe bulk ammo all day long,so when I shoot them it's only the expensive match ammo,do I say that the gun is a POS-no,but the cheap ammo that won't shoot out of them is.
Sorry I got you all ruffled. THB
P.S.-Your geography is a little off with the Wife/Sister/Aunt thing,that only happens in Arkansas and Missouri.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 02-02-2009, 04:30 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Perhaps it was the description of being "Lazy assed" and "bitching" about my inflated expectations. I know, I know . . . I just should have dropped everything and learned gunsmithing. I'm so damn lazy. Feel free to start the "Help 741512th Get His Crappy Gun Fixed Because He Is Too Lazy To Learn Gunsmithing" fund.

In my opinion, ANY gun you have to take to a gunsmith right out of the box to make it work right is a piece of platypus dung. I don't care if it is the $500 dollar version or the $2000 version. Would you recommend any other product on earth that requires repair on the first day in order to make it work as advertised?

There must have been a couple of people who bought a Dodge Aries K for whom it worked like a charm. They are the K Car Groupies and they meet in a very small room. It doesn't mean the car model as a whole wasn't a piece of crap. Even a blind pig finds an acorn now and again.

The simple fact remains that in my personal experience, 100% of the Springfield 1911 A1 that I have owned and fired have been disappointing. That was the question he asked. If four other people say they like them, then the outside observer might conclude that 80% of the customers are satisfied. I was not in a position to give the originator of the thread your opinion of the SA 1911. I could only give him mine.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 AM   #25

My SA GI.45 has been very reliable ever since I sent it in for warranty work. Springfield paid shipping both ways and did about 300 bucks worth of work at no cost. It is every bit as good a gun as my Colt MKIV Series 70 Govt. Model. I saw one of the SA GI .45's at my local dealer for $615.00. I paid $508.00 for mine a year and a half ago. Yes it is true that mine wouldn't feed the last round in any magazine I tried. That's what the warranty work was all about. Ever since though, it has digested everything I have thrown at it. And just so you all know, my Colt misfeeds and stovepipes on occasion, but I have never owned an automatic pistol in ANY caliber that didn't misfeed or jam now and then. NO semiautomatic gun can ever be 100% reliable because there are too many variables in ammunition. Anyone who says they have never had a malfunction in a semiautomatic weapon is lying. Period.

Last edited by chucksolo69; 03-16-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741512th View Post
The Springfield 1911 is an automatic jamming machine and a piece of platypus dung. Word is on this forum that there are many fine 1911s out there. Avoid at all costs. Cheap is as cheap does.
Recently purchased a Springfield 1911 milspec model and have had no problems with it in the first 200 rounds. Ill try to remember to repost when I have more rounds through it.

As to the original question, in my area the base model, GI I think, is around 500 new.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #27

Tightest fitting, best shooting 1911 I've seen is the Springfield and I've seen lots. I polished the feed ramp on my Mil Spec. It's not hard to do.

Kimbers had HUGE QC problems when the were based in Oregon. The problems moved to NY with them. Kimber was for years using mostly after-market parts, which didn't fit very well.

Mostly I think Kimber is a load of hype. But people seem to buy it.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, then. I'm apparently the exception, not the rule.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #29

I think that you can probably get a bad gun from any company. Some will have a higher percentage of bad apples than others. All of my guns, even the $90 mossberg plinkster have functioned flawlessly and I expect nothing less. If I ever am unlucky and get a bad apple I will probably never buy another firearm from of that make.

Old 04-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #30

Default springfield 1911A1 loaded

I do no know where some people have the nerve to cut down the Springfield pistol ,I have a 1911A1 loaded in 9mm with a thousand rounds through it with no problems.So get off the Springfield.