Springfield 1911-A1 GI model
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield 1911-A1 GI model

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Springfield 1911-A1 GI model

I did a quick search here and didn't see much on them.
I know it is basically a base model, But still very serviceable, This would be my first 1911 and I can get one used for $400+ It has the "US" wood grips on them, Doing a GIS I get all sorts of pic's, Does anyone know if the grips state the possible age of it, I know its a newer one, I still need to get some details from the seller as well as a better pic, One without the holster He lives in my area, I just wanted a little extra info so I can make a good decision.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

There's nothing wrong with a Springer GI other than the tiny sights and it doesn't have a flared & lowered ejection port. They have forged frames & slides, no firing pin block, and are generally good shooters. Hard to tell age as they've always had the US grips...

Old 04-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
There's nothing wrong with a Springer GI other than the tiny sights and it doesn't have a flared & lowered ejection port. They have forged frames & slides, no firing pin block, and are generally good shooters. Hard to tell age as they've always had the US grips...
I see, Thanks.
This would just be another pistol, I don't think it would be for CC'ing.
The ejection port, Could that be an issue with FTE's or something?
Firing pin block would be part of the safety, Correct?
Sounds good on the grips, I saw some pic's that had other grips and some with the US.
I'm requesting more info.
Thanks again.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Without the F&L ejection port, they tend to dent the brass which is an issue for reloader's mainly. The FPB is a passive safety system used by most 1911 makers. Colt calls their guns with FPBs Series 80 and guns without Series 70. No FPB just means it's closer to the JMB standard and has less "parts". The front sight on these (and the Mil-Spec) is staked on (no dovetail) so to get fancy sights you have to have the dovetails cut which can cost some $$$. You can buy better sights, like 3 dots, that fit the existing mountings though...

Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I have a GI, it's a very good pistol.
The thing about the standard ejection port is sometimes it will throw the brass straight up and it will land on your head... no big deal, just kind of annoying.

Firing pin block is a safety that prevents the firing pin from moving far enough to strike the primer until the trigger is pulled.
Traditional 1911's do not have a firing pin block, although there are a few 1911 manufacturers that do incorporate a FPB into their 1911 style pistols, Springfield stays more true to the original design and does not use FPB's.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Try and find out the round count. That will give you an idea of condition. Check it for operation, look hard at the barrel, check the slide and frame for cracks and look at the slide and frame rails for irregularities. See if they work together smoothly. Dry fire it a few times and see how it feels. Look at the overall condition in general. If you can live fire it, even better. If you have a friend that is a 1911 guy, have him check it out as well.

The Springfield GI is a good, solid, no frills 1911 and it will serve you well if you get a good one.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Excellent, Thanks again guy's

Old 04-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Try and find out the round count. That will give you an idea of condition. Check it for operation, look hard at the barrel, check the slide and frame for cracks and look at the slide and frame rails for irregularities. See if they work together smoothly. Dry fire it a few times and see how it feels. Look at the overall condition in general. If you can live fire it, even better. If you have a friend that is a 1911 guy, have him check it out as well.

The Springfield GI is a good, solid, no frills 1911 and it will serve you well if you get a good one.
The guy(collage student) claims 500 rounds.
We have a series 70 here at work that I have had my hands on a couple of times, I will have a good look at it, Get some feel for it.
I'm still waiting on more info.
Thanks

Old 04-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2890 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

One thing to consider is changing out springs.
My SA has over 20,000 rounds and will still shoot 5 rounds in one elongated hole at 15 yards.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I believe I've seen 'em with the cross cannon grips also. Some people who have 'em don't mind the sights, I'm not one of those. Pretty much a gun for someone that saw Saving Private Ryan and wanted one. If its a project gun and you go changing stuff like slide stop,sights,beavertail or thumb safety you had better want to keep it. A gun shop will bring out the Blue Book and that's the price. They won't care how much you've put in to it. So if these are things that you maybe addressing in the future, you might want and wait and save for what you really want. In good shape $400.00 is a good price. Good luck.

The rest of the world gets it,why can't we?
"The United States can survive a Barack Obama,who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president".
Out of the Czech Republic

Psalm 138:7