Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springfield 1911 A1 GI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

I have a Springer GI45 High Cap. I did a bit of polishing and acquired a few Para Ordinance 14-45 mags and left everything else alone. It performs perfectly so I see no need to mess with it.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPD13 View Post
I have a Springer GI45 High Cap. I did a bit of polishing and acquired a few Para Ordinance 14-45 mags and left everything else alone. It performs perfectly so I see no need to mess with it.
Not a double stack fan... I like the thinner models. Personally I just wanted it to look more custom and also have a bit more rapid fire capability.

Like I said, I am not doing the work for the performance benfits completely... The square hammer is cool looking, the trigger looks cool, there are weight benifits amongst speed benefits but honestly... its the looks.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #13

Sounds like you should have got the Mil Spec instead.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Sounds like you should have got the Mil Spec instead.

I hardly see a reason for dotted sights and throated barrel... the bevel is the only improvement and I can make that adjustment myself... I will be putting on a high grip beavertail...

The difference between the GI and Mil Spec is so minute... I would rather do the modifying myself.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #15

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgustaveson View Post
I hardly see a reason for dotted sights and throated barrel... the bevel is the only improvement and I can make that adjustment myself... I will be putting on a high grip beavertail...

The difference between the GI and Mil Spec is so minute... I would rather do the modifying myself.
Actually there's quite a bit of difference between a GI and a Mil-Spec and I always suggest a Mil-Spec as the best base gun to build from. Nothing wrong with a GI but it requires more work to upgrade...

Old 11-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Actually there's quite a bit of difference between a GI and a Mil-Spec and I always suggest a Mil-Spec as the best base gun to build from. Nothing wrong with a GI but it requires more work to upgrade...
Can you list the differences? I have looked at em both, and shot them both and it seemed like a polished ramp, throated barrel, three-dot sights, and the ejection port is beveled...

Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #17

Just be careful, I find parts swapping and modifications can be quite addictive. Case in point, the only thing original on my Ruger 10/22 is the bolt!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Just be careful, I find parts swapping and modifications can be quite addictive. Case in point, the only thing original on my Ruger 10/22 is the bolt!
Haha I don't mind it at all.. parts aren't that expensive... My next project is going to be building a Wilson Combat from parts...

Old 11-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #19

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clgustaveson View Post
Can you list the differences? I have looked at em both, and shot them both and it seemed like a polished ramp, throated barrel, three-dot sights, and the ejection port is beveled...
You hit the high spots but the actual barrel assembly on the Mil-Spec is different as it's stainless, the Mil-Spec and the Loaded use the same barrel. The flared & lowered ejection port is really nice to have as brass doesn't hit you in the face nor is it dented if you reload. The magwell on the Mil-Spec is also beveled and the sights are much better than the tiny GI sights. The Mil-Spec is worth the difference in price...

Old 11-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #20

I hate the hooplah about the sights being crappy on the GI... I don't mind nice sights but I have never paid for sights.