Springer GI issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Springer GI issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Springer GI issues

After the long wait I finally picked up my GI, took it home, & after inspection I found 3 of things wrong with it. With every 1911 I load it & rack the slide till it's empty, the first problem was the rounds wouldn't eject. I looked at the extractor to find out that it's too far forward thus not getting a good 'grip' on the casing. Another problem was the mag that came with it, the follower jammed up in the middle of the mag. I had to tinker with it to get the rounds back up. The last problem I noticed was the slide release is very tight. I know that SA has great customer service & a warranty but if I were to send it off what would be the time frame for when I'd get it back? Could I save time & trouble by doing it myself? Should I go ahead & give it a fluff & buff if I fix it myself?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know what the current time is for Springfield to return warranty work but I'd advise sending it back. It might void your warranty (probably will) if you attempt to fix it yourself and then have other problems crop up later. I wouldn't worry too much about the mag as I always recommend buying better magazines anyway.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-28-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

i agree with mr bear. send it back. you might have been unlucky to get one that was made early monday morning when the qc guy was recovering from a bender heh

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Don't sweat the mag. Springer mags are crap. Send it back to SA. They have excellent customer service. It will be worth it in the long run and you won't void your warranty.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

And buy another gun while you wait! :-)

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-28-2010, 09:04 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
After the long wait I finally picked up my GI, took it home, & after inspection I found 3 of things wrong with it. With every 1911 I load it & rack the slide till it's empty, the first problem was the rounds wouldn't eject. I looked at the extractor to find out that it's too far forward thus not getting a good 'grip' on the casing.
Have you shot it yet? You need to throw at least 100 rounds downrange to call it inop. If you don't try, Springer will just tell you to shoot it first.

If it FTE with the first mag, you won't need to run the remaining 97 rounds but your FTE issue is only speculation right now.

You can tell the extractor is "too far forward" just by eyeballing it? Is the firing pin stop installed correctly? Broken? Not sure I've ever heard of a too far forward extractor much less seeing one. They did test fire the gun at build..right?

Quote:
Another problem was the mag that came with it, the follower jammed up in the middle of the mag. I had to tinker with it to get the rounds back up.
Ah yes, 1911 mags.

MAG QUESTIONS:

Here's some reading;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/7-rd-vs-8rd-mags-20342/#post189853

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-mags-11991/#post84558

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230658

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/1911-hollow-points-23957/#post239151

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/i-bought-kimber-pro-carry-ii-23402/#post230885

Quote:
The last problem I noticed was the slide release is very tight. I know that SA has great customer service & a warranty but if I were to send it off what would be the time frame for when I'd get it back? Could I save time & trouble by doing it myself? Should I go ahead & give it a fluff & buff if I fix it myself?
NO!

It's a new gun...right?

Its their responsibility to sell you a running gun. Remind them of that and send it back!

And the slide release, it's a new gun. Be glad it came tight! It will work-in, or more likely you will learn how she likes to be stroked to release her skirt....uh..slide.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-28-2010, 09:18 PM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Agreed you need to sling a few rounds to see if your eyeballing is that spot on. If it's not ejecting wounds then ship the bad cat back. The shop where you bought it will take care of that. As for the mag send it off too and tell them it's messed up. They'll fix or replace it. You didn't look at the meg before purchase? Overlooking something like that but you can see the incorrect position 0of the extractor..Anyway...Most mags that come with pistols are not the best anyway and you will be wanting more. It's a 1911 thing.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's some reasonably priced mags: http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-28-2010, 11:15 PM   #9

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I guess the verdict is clear, I'll send it away tomorrow. The reason I didn't inspect it prior to purchase was because I back ordered it & I took it home the day it came in. I only wish I brought some snap caps with me but nbd. I guess in the mean time I'll play with my Hi Point C9(Moped Pistol). Thanks for the posts. But one more issue.. Should I go ahead & give it a fluff & buff after I get it back?

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 11-29-2010, 03:02 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How qualified are you to perform the fluff & buff? You can have SA deburr and smooth the innards for a nominal fee.