Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > spartan 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Ok then. Here's my next question...why not buy a rock island armory tactical and put some better springs and other internals in it? If the barrel, slide and frame are all the same? I dabble in some minor gunsmithing and am always looking for a new project. I'm not claiming to be a pro or even close, but why not do some research and learn as I go? Is that a dumb idea?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2583 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Ok then. Here's my next question...why not buy a rock island armory tactical and put some better springs and other internals in it? If the barrel, slide and frame are all the same? I dabble in some minor gunsmithing and am always looking for a new project. I'm not claiming to be a pro or even close, but why not do some research and learn as I go? Is that a dumb idea?
I suppose you could. How good is your "minor gunsmithing?" I have a high degree of confidence that an STI pistol is simply going to work. 1911s require a fair bit of skill to get correct. Admittedly, the Slide/Frame/barrel is a large percentage of the equation, but the remaining internals do need to be fitted with a degree of skill that makes trial & error less than appealing. It really comes down to your skill, your available tools and what you consider your time to be worth.
Read Kuhnhausen's book before you decide to move forward with this plan.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #13

Liked 120 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
The barrel, slide and frame are not the same as the RIA. The Spartan is designed by STI and Armscor builds it to STI specs on a separate line that manufactures just the Spartan. This is not an arrangement where STI uses another product and puts their name on it. Armscor actually has a STI Division making these guns.

The Spartan literally has STI written all over it.

For the record, I just own a Spartan and don't work for them. Not that working for them would be a bad thing!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #14

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

My minor gunsmithing skills may not be up to par to do exact fitting. Maybe I should just get the Spartan then. I would hate to get in over my head and end up having to take it to a pro with my head hung down low in shame.

I know I want a full size 1911 next since I just bought a commander length...

Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat
I typically use Gunbroker to find out when an item gets released, and hadn't seen one listed yet. If it exists, I assume someone is trying to make a buck off of it. I did just go check the Gunbroker "completed items" listing and there were six IVs in 9mm listed in December, but nothing since. So yeah, they are out there, just not making it into my safe anytime in the near future.

Probably for the best anyway, filling the empty wallet space from the VBob purchase last week is going to take some time.
I've tried to find the "completed listings" on Gunbroker and can't locate it. Can you tell where to find it?

Old 02-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by donray View Post
I've tried to find the "completed listings" on Gunbroker and can't locate it. Can you tell where to find it?
Use the advanced search option and it will take you to the screen where you enter your search parameters. It defaults to "current items", but at the top of the fill in the boxes section there is a seperate tab that says "completed items". Click that and you will get a new set of options for completed auctions.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisthecat
Use the advanced search option and it will take you to the screen where you enter your search parameters. It defaults to "current items", but at the top of the fill in the boxes section there is a seperate tab that says "completed items". Click that and you will get a new set of options for completed auctions.
Thank you so much

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
All the RIA Tactical needs is better grips and shooting.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Took a few days off this week so decided to make an early trip to the nearest Cabelas (about an hour away). At 9AM the ammo shelves were pretty well stocked! 5 box limit, but it was the most 9mm & 45 I've seen in months. Grabbed my limit, took a stroll past the gun counter, and there on the bottom shelf was a Spartan IV in 9mm. It looked lonely, so I had to bring it home with me. Pics tomorrow when my mini-vacation wraps up.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The moderately elusive Spartan IV. Just needs some new grips...

image.jpg