Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sort of a gunsmithing question- but 1911 related

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Sort of a gunsmithing question- but 1911 related

I need to swap out the beavertail safety on a Kimber. The way I grip the pistol, the current one only half engages and I need to slide my hand down just a little to fully engage it- which I do not like. I need one with the little extension on it like the Wilson high rides.

Is this something I can purchase and fit at home with no gunsmithing experience? Many versions say "drop in" but I know how that usually goes. Any recommendation as to which brand/model may fit the Kimbers the best? (Kimber's proprietary one is forever out of stock)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

While a Wilson drop-in model will probably work just fine, it will not look as finished as a fitted beavertail. Not sure what radius Kimber cuts on the frame tangs so a drop-in is probably the only option if you don't want to work on the frame tangs. What model of Kimber do you have?

Old 10-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a tactical (alum frame version) I don't mind sending it out if it is not something I should be attempting with no experience- especially with the alum frame.

Last edited by Slawth; 10-14-2009 at 12:24 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawth View Post
It is a tactical (alum frame version) I don't mind sending it out if it is not something I should be attempting with no experience- especially with the alum frame.

To get the best results, having a smith do it is the best option. If you don't mind a gap between the frame tangs and the beavertail, a Wilson drop-in from Brownells would probably work just fine. I've used 2 of them (on a Springer Mil-Spec and a Norinco) and they were OK...

BROWNELLS : WILSON COMBAT : 1911 AUTO DROP-IN BEAVERTAIL GRIP SAFETY - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

Old 10-14-2009, 01:27 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the link. It sounds as though the "drop in" just means they under-size the safety to make it a one size fits most type of deal- making it sloppy in more cases than not? The price isn't too bad. I might give one a try... It does say that the trigger engagement area may need some fitting. Might be a good first project for me. I'd prefer to do it right the first time though

Old 10-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #6

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Go to Midway or Brownells, they offer the GS you want specifically for a Kimber radius. Try S&A as well. The "drop in" Wilson will not fit your Kimber.

Kimber stock GS:

Wilson "drop in" on a Colt:

You see here that the tang cut on the Kimber pistol is not even close to the Wilson/Colt drop in. And, BTW, the "drop In" took me about 2 hours to fit to the Compact Colt pictured.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Go to Midway or Brownells, they offer the GS you want specifically for a Kimber radius. Try S&A as well. The "drop in" Wilson will not fit your Kimber.

Kimber stock GS:

Wilson "drop in" on a Colt:

You see here that the tang cut on the Kimber pistol is not even close to the Wilson/Colt drop in. And, BTW, the "drop In" took me about 2 hours to fit to the Compact Colt pictured.
Do you have the link for a Kimber specific beavertail from Brownells (or Midway)? I actually looked both places this morning before I posted and I did not see a part that specifically says it's fits a Kimber.

Quote:
Thanks for the link. It sounds as though the "drop in" just means they under-size the safety to make it a one size fits most type of deal- making it sloppy in more cases than not? The price isn't too bad. I might give one a try... It does say that the trigger engagement area may need some fitting. Might be a good first project for me. I'd prefer to do it right the first time though
Each 1911 maker chooses the radius of the frame tangs for their own beavertails. Some use a 220 degree, some use a 250 degree - not sure what Kimber uses. A drop-in leaves enough room to clear the long frame tangs of a Colt style 1911 equipped with a standard grip safety. There's a good chance that stalkingbear or masterPsmith does know if anyone makes the right replacement part...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-14-2009 at 03:52 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Do you have the link for a Kimber specific beavertail from Brownells (or Midway)? I actually looked both places this morning before I posted and I did not see a part that specifically says it's fits a Kimber.

Each 1911 maker chooses the radius of the frame tangs for their own beavertails. Some use a 220 degree, some use a 250 degree - not sure what Kimber uses. A drop-in leaves enough room to clear the long frame tangs of a Colt style 1911 equipped with a standard grip safety. There's a good chance that stalkingbear or masterPsmith does know if anyone makes the right replacement part...

Brownells S&A "EZ Fit High Grip" stock number 849-007-072DF (Blued) - this is with the palmswell and will cosmetically fit up nicely to the Kimber .250 radius cut. Looks like $36.95 less shipping. You might have to relieve a little material to provide trigger bar clearance when depressed-should be the only "fitting" required, but may not be necessary. Also the Les Baer Custom (124-152-100DF) is identical but a little pricier @ $41.65.

If you look at the profile and tang cut on your stock Kimber GS, these two are pretty much identical. I don't know where Kimber gets thier GS's from, but this design is it.IMHO

Last edited by crockett007; 10-14-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #9

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Remember any changes to your receiver will require refinishing!

Here's what you need to do:

Call Alan Smith @ 1-800-722-1911, Smith & Alexander in Copeville, Texas. Ask him what will fit the best and includes the palm swell.

Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

Take a look at the arched MSH as well. You'll love it and also add the mag-guide!

Tell him canebrake said to get your best deal then tell him you're from the FTF and how about free shipping!

Check out what I needed to do with my colt:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/big-thunder-ii-vs-fenrir-1911-460-rowland-build-off-10752/index4.html#post75596

My refinish was a simple bead blast, yours will be a big deal!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

He won't have to do anything to the receiver if he gets the 250 cut grip safety or just specify for Kimber. You WILL have to fit the grip safety however. It's something easy to do IF you take your time and go ssslllooowww when fitting it.