Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sometimes you just gotta suck it up....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Sometimes you just gotta suck it up....

So I just dropped a few hundred clams this week on a nice new Field & Stream 10-gun safe. It was long overdue and I feel 10x more relieved that I finally found and installed a good one (for the budget I was working with)

About an hour ago I stopped in one of my LGS and came across one of the finest consignment 1911's (within my price range) in a while..... a LIKE NEW Colt lightweight Commander in polished stainless w/alum frame for freaking $795! The guy just put it on sale last night. Here's a stock pic which looked identical to the Colt:

Goddang budgets - I will never find a deal like that again!

I hate when my timing is off and I miss incredible deals. I can almost guarantee it will be sold by tomorrow.....this hobby sure does take over my life at times lol. Im never satisfied

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
So I just dropped a few hundred clams this week on a nice new Field & Stream 10-gun safe. It was long overdue and I feel 10x more relieved that I finally found and installed a good one (for the budget I was working with)

About an hour ago I stopped in one of my LGS and came across one of the finest consignment 1911's (within my price range) in a while..... a LIKE NEW Colt lightweight Commander in polished stainless w/alum frame for freaking $795! The guy just put it on sale last night. Here's a stock pic which looked identical to the Colt:

Goddang budgets - I will never find a deal like that again!

I hate when my timing is off and I miss incredible deals. I can almost guarantee it will be sold by tomorrow.....this hobby sure does take over my life at times lol. Im never satisfied
Dude- Thats the story of my life

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1103 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Sigh. Tell me about it. I have a rule (that may be modified soon) that I do not buy guns on credit or layaway -- my basic firearms needs are met, and everything else is gravey) --but in the last six months I have found three really sweet deals that I didn't have the cash for ant the time, and when I went back a week or so later it was, of course gone.

That would have been a nice gun, but, hey, think how much more secure you other guns are now.

I've been wanting a nice safe for some time now, but everytime a seriously consider buying one, I think, "but, damn, I could buy another gun for that price".

Right now I need a bigger and better safe more than I do another toy.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #4
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16868 Times on 9775 Posts
Likes Given: 43989

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Sigh. Tell me about it. I have a rule (that may be modified soon) that I do not buy guns on credit or layaway -- my basic firearms needs are met, and everything else is gravey) --but in the last six months I have found three really sweet deals that I didn't have the cash for ant the time, and when I went back a week or so later it was, of course gone.

That would have been a nice gun, but, hey, think how much more secure you other guns are now.

I've been wanting a nice safe for some time now, but everytime a seriously consider buying one, I think, "but, damn, I could buy another gun for that price".

Right now I need a bigger and better safe more than I do another toy.
i won't use credit to buy guns, but i will and have used layaway to get them.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1804 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Stainless,

That is a very nice piece! And a good deal! Glad to hear you got a safe! They are a peace of mind! I do not know how heavy it is so get it bolted down if two or three guys could carry it with the weapons in it! Also they are great for valuables also and serve a dual purpose. Like your valuable documents, jewelry, coins and the like. Way to go!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

It's better to have gone back to gun shop and notice that gun is gone than to come home and notice ALL of your guns are gone.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

That's the only way I afford my guns

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #8

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Highly unlikely they'll take layaway for a consignment-gun for the obvious reason. Would you be willing to pay a premium that would be compelling enough for the gunshop to consider it though? Might have to match their commission...

Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1431 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Agreed credit you are obliged to someone else layaway is more like a commitment to yourself

Old 03-02-2013, 06:28 PM   #10

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

That was almost my first 1911, new for $800. I opted for my springer because I wanted full sized and steel for my 1911 cherry.