Some questions about Cerakote - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Some questions about Cerakote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli

Cerakote is a proprietary finish that according to the company is ceramics reinforced. It needs heat to cure and the aplications I've seen are really good. My last rifle I had built I specified Cerakote and the gunsmith that built it swears by it. He said it is tougher than just about any other finish out there.

You can get the stuff directly from Brownells and Midway and it's not brain surgery to do but beware, cerakote adds volume to the metal so DO NOT spray on rails etc on a tight fitting gun. Anything with tight tolerances like bolts etc are no-nos. Once the stuff cures, if the part does not fit you will go through HELL trying to get it off.

That being said I have a few cans at home with a couple of my own projects waiting for me to have some time to get them done.
I know SA cerakotes the TRP and Sig cerakoted their 1911 scorpion, and I think the SA MC Operator is cerakoted also. They aren't the highest end pistols but they are differently good contenders. Thank you very much for your information it is always welcomes and appreciated. And it's good to get open minded, educated, and experienced opinion.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #12

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn

I don't know how they ion bond guns but they ion bond rims and car with a spray. They charge the rim or car body, then spray the cote on and let it cure. I think that's the same way they do cerakote, just a guess.
Cerakote is sprayed on using an air brush. It can be bought from Brownells and Midway by anyone. No magnetizing of the gun is needed.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #13

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
Cerakote is sprayed on using an air brush. It can be bought from Brownells and Midway by anyone. No magnetizing of the gun is needed.
It's also sold in an aerosol can that works just fine. There is enough in a can to do two long guns or a few pistols. The parts need to be "baked" in an oven after spraying so the size of your oven will dictate how big a piece you can do at home. As I mentioned before make sure you tape up anything that has reall tight/critical tolerances.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #14

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
I know SA cerakotes the TRP and Sig cerakoted their 1911 scorpion, and I think the SA MC Operator is cerakoted also. They aren't the highest end pistols but they are differently good contenders. Thank you very much for your information it is always welcomes and appreciated. And it's good to get open minded, educated, and experienced opinion.
You are welcome and yep, many manufacturers use Cerakote as their "proprietary" finish.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 AM   #15

I'm a certified cerakote applicator and have recently started messing with KG Gun Kote. Of the two I would recommend Gun Kote to the home DIY. It is much easier to apply.

Both should be done with a HVLP .8 tip gun, but an airbrush can be used. Dry coating is the worst enemy you face with an airbrush as they both should be put on in one wet coat from top to bottom on the part.

There is more info on my website and feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions. I'm off to the intro forum now as this is my first but not last post I would assume.

Cerakote.info

Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you for the info, and I'm not doing it myself. I have a couple pistols and an AR that I want to cerakote. I'll check your site and get some quotes soon.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
2 questions, first, is the SA MC Operator Cerakoted? And is how good is Cerakote compared to other finishes?
I've had three 1911's refinished in the past couple of years. All three have been done by CCR. Their product is called Cera-Hide. Some stuff about nano-technology---. I don't know much about that but all three of the guns I've had redone look like they did the day I got them back from CCR. The coating is tough.
Here's his URL if you'd care to look at his samples and and explanation of what the finish is, and a couple if pics of the guns I had refinished.

CCR-REFINISHING

Old 08-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #18

Todd Powder of Phantom Finishes is one our BEST applicators and does some outstanding work! If you need some other references on Cerakote applicators please use the NIC Industries applicator locator at: NIC Industries - App search

Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbell
I've had three 1911's refinished in the past couple of years. All three have been done by CCR. Their product is called Cera-Hide. Some stuff about nano-technology---. I don't know much about that but all three of the guns I've had redone look like they did the day I got them back from CCR. The coating is tough.
Here's his URL if you'd care to look at his samples and and explanation of what the finish is, and a couple if pics of the guns I had refinished.

CCR-REFINISHING
Nice, I have Colt CCO myself, but it has Teflon finish from Colt. But you have some nice pieces.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:19 AM   #20

I thought parkerized finish was one of the most awesome lol.