Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Some questions about Cerakote (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/some-questions-about-cerakote-46669/)

AznZOhAn 08-11-2011 05:56 PM

Some questions about Cerakote

2 questions, first, is the SA MC Operator Cerakoted? And is how good is Cerakote compared to other finishes?

AznZOhAn 08-11-2011 05:57 PM

And can I do it my self or should I get a gun smith or pro do it?

Olympus 08-11-2011 09:36 PM

I'm not familiar with Cerakote, but all of those spray-on finishes are about the same. Each one says it's leaps and bounds above the others. I've used DuraCoat on a previous gun and it was mediocre at best. The finish flaked off the heads of all the pins on the gun first. Then it started flaking off the face of the hammer.

If I were to do it again, I would go with an ion-bond process similar to the Hard Hat treatment by Severns Custom.

mrm14 08-11-2011 09:42 PM

I think the applicators have to be certified to buy the product to do the jobs. It's a process.

Check this guy out. I've seen quite a bit of his work and it's superb.

cerakote, Phantom Finishing Concord, CA Home

Wambli 08-11-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznZOhAn (Post 560771)
2 questions, first, is the SA MC Operator Cerakoted? And is how good is Cerakote compared to other finishes?

Cerakote is a proprietary finish that according to the company is ceramics reinforced. It needs heat to cure and the aplications I've seen are really good. My last rifle I had built I specified Cerakote and the gunsmith that built it swears by it. He said it is tougher than just about any other finish out there.

You can get the stuff directly from Brownells and Midway and it's not brain surgery to do but beware, cerakote adds volume to the metal so DO NOT spray on rails etc on a tight fitting gun. Anything with tight tolerances like bolts etc are no-nos. Once the stuff cures, if the part does not fit you will go through HELL trying to get it off.

That being said I have a few cans at home with a couple of my own projects waiting for me to have some time to get them done.

AznZOhAn 08-12-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wambli

Cerakote is a proprietary finish that according to the company is ceramics reinforced. It needs heat to cure and the aplications I've seen are really good. My last rifle I had built I specified Cerakote and the gunsmith that built it swears by it. He said it is tougher than just about any other finish out there.

You can get the stuff directly from Brownells and Midway and it's not brain surgery to do but beware, cerakote adds volume to the metal so DO NOT spray on rails etc on a tight fitting gun. Anything with tight tolerances like bolts etc are no-nos. Once the stuff cures, if the part does not fit you will go through HELL trying to get it off.

That being said I have a few cans at home with a couple of my own projects waiting for me to have some time to get them done.

Thanks Wambli, heard that it is best thing out right now. I'm gonna have my SA loaded debured, a carry bevel, cerakoted.

Olympus 08-12-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AznZOhAn

Thanks Wambli, heard that it is best thing out right now. I'm gonna have my SA loaded debured, a carry bevel, cerakoted.

It's far from the best thing out right now. Any spray-on finish will be inferior to the new ion-bond process. Higher end gun makers are moving away from "coatings" and moving toward "treatments". Severns Custom's Hard Hat treatment, Dan Wesson's Duty Treatment, Fusion's Ion-Bond finish are just a few examples. Coatings will be cheaper, but just a Google search for Hard Hat or Duty Treatment and see how they stack up with spray-on coatings.

Wambli 08-12-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 561402)
It's far from the best thing out right now. Any spray-on finish will be inferior to the new ion-bond process. Higher end gun makers are moving away from "coatings" and moving toward "treatments". Severns Custom's Hard Hat treatment, Dan Wesson's Duty Treatment, Fusion's Ion-Bond finish are just a few examples. Coatings will be cheaper, but just a Google search for Hard Hat or Duty Treatment and see how they stack up with spray-on coatings.

While maybe not the best out there it is probably the most cost effective quality metal treatment out there.

AznZOhAn 08-12-2011 05:06 PM

Ion bond is basically a powder cote like they do on car rims. Electrically charging the weapon to magnetize it and heating it up at the same time to make the particle stick after demagnetizing the weapon. Basically it's an electroplating process. I think I'll just try the cerakote for now, thanks Wambli.

AznZOhAn 08-12-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus

I don't know how they ion bond guns but they ion bond rims and car with a spray. They charge the rim or car body, then spray the cote on and let it cure. I think that's the same way they do cerakote, just a guess.