Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Solid 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/solid-1911-a-76666/)

zombiehunter 11-19-2012 03:20 AM

Solid 1911

1 Attachment(s)
My friends new baby....

danf_fl 11-19-2012 01:13 PM

What? No range report? Are you getting the pistol bayonet?

Seriously, it looks good. How does it shoot?

Olympus 11-19-2012 03:07 PM

The OP may be limited as he indicates the gun belongs to a friend and not to him. Hopefully the friend let him put some rounds through it though.

zombiehunter 11-19-2012 05:34 PM

That's true Olympus. He stopped by the house yesterday after a trip to the range to show it off and tell me how he liked it, rather loved it.

Prior to this he carried an XD 40 subcompact. He said the recoil is significantly less feeling and the target reacquisition was amazing. Of course I know the the simple fact of the weight alone helps with that but he really has fallen in love with it.

Those trijicon sights on it are beyond any physics I'm familiar with. Truly impressive. He said he had it in the case sealed up for two days and straight from the case to the dark bathroom they looked like mini LED's. I checked it out myself in a semi dim room and they looked like they were powered lights.

Totally sold on the sights, the 1911 was amazing looking and feeling.

canebrake 11-19-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiehunter (Post 1019986)
That's true Olympus. He stopped by the house yesterday after a trip to the range to show it off and tell me how he liked it, rather loved it.

Prior to this he carried an XD 40 subcompact. He said the recoil is significantly less feeling and the target reacquisition was amazing. Of course I know the the simple fact of the weight alone helps with that but he really has fallen in love with it.

Those trijicon sights on it are beyond any physics I'm familiar with. Truly impressive. He said he had it in the case sealed up for two days and straight from the case to the dark bathroom they looked like mini LED's. I checked it out myself in a semi dim room and they looked like they were powered lights.

Totally sold on the sights, the 1911 was amazing looking and feeling.

Tell your friend, "Welcome to the fraternity of the 1911 and the genius of John Moses Browning!"

Point 1, comparison to the XD 40 subcompact recoil.
His SA XD weighs in at 26ozs. Your friend's gun looks like a Loaded FS MC Operator that weighs in at a whopping 42ozs. The shear physics of the two (even if chambered in the same round) would provide a significant reduction in perceived/actual recoil. Add to this the lighter XD is using the .40 Short & Weak which is a far more snappy round makes this transition to the 1911 a true pleasure.
Point 2., the trijicon sights
The Trijicon night sights are fitted with a tritium gas filled lamp that requires no power supply or the need to charge them with (day)light to glow.

danf_fl 11-19-2012 06:45 PM

Why are you posting pictures and not your friend?

Is he too good for our company or are we too good for him? :)

zombiehunter 11-19-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Why are you posting pictures and not your friend?

Is he too good for our company or are we too good for him? :)

I'm not sure why he is not on here. I told him again about this just yesterday. I even gave him an extensive tutorial on the forum. He seemed really interested so maybe soon.

And I just had to share this beaut. I was really excited to be in its presence. Haha!

zombiehunter 11-19-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake

Tell your friend, "Welcome to the fraternity of the 1911 and the genius of John Moses Browning!"

Point 1, comparison to the XD 40 subcompact recoil.
His SA XD weighs in at 26ozs. Your friend's gun looks like a Loaded FS MC Operator that weighs in at a whopping 42ozs. The shear physics of the two (even if chambered in the same round) would provide a significant reduction in perceived/actual recoil. Add to this the lighter XD is using the .40 Short & Weak which is a far more snappy round makes this transition to the 1911 a true pleasure.
Point 2., the trijicon sights
The Trijicon night sights are fitted with a tritium gas filled lamp that requires no power supply or the need to charge them with (day)light to glow.

Thanks for the info cane! And yes you are correct. It's an MC Operator.

So this tritium gas just glows? Without power? Or a light charge? Still goes against any physics I know. I don't remember seeing that on the periodic table. Crazy stuff!

canebrake 11-19-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombiehunter (Post 1020120)
Thanks for the info cane! And yes you are correct. It's an MC Operator.

So this tritium gas just glows? Without power? Or a light charge? Still goes against any physics I know. I don't remember seeing that on the periodic table. Crazy stuff!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ons/tiphat.jpg

Yes and the Trijicon Night Sights are guaranteed for at least twelve years. (The half-life of tritium [hydrogen-3] is 12.3 years.)

FROM WIKI:

Tritium, symbol T or 3H, also known as hydrogen-3 is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen.

Tritium illumination is the use of gaseous tritium, a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, to create visible light. Tritium emits electrons through beta decay, and when they interact with a phosphor material, fluorescent light is created, a process called radioluminescence. As tritium illumination requires no electrical energy

zombiehunter 11-19-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake

Yes and the Trijicon Night Sights are guaranteed for at least twelve years. (The half-life of tritium [hydrogen-3] is 12.3 years.)

FROM WIKI:

Tritium, symbol T or 3H, also known as hydrogen-3 is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen.

Tritium illumination is the use of gaseous tritium, a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, to create visible light. Tritium emits electrons through beta decay, and when they interact with a phosphor material, fluorescent light is created, a process called radioluminescence. As tritium illumination requires no electrical energy

Mind blowing!! Thanks again. Great info!