You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

So your trigger is kinda hard to pull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4574 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 2209

Default So your trigger is kinda hard to pull

I've been seeing where people are asking for light trigger pulls, less take-up, and other things for the triggers of 1911s (but thankfully, not on this site.)

I had a customer who purchased a Girsan from an on-line dealer. He came to me asking for a 3lb trigger pull with an adjustable trigger he saw in some gun magazine. After letting him judge the trigger pull on some of my 1911s he was asking for one like mine. I put a trigger pull gauge on and showed him that none of my 1911s had a trigger pull of less than 4lbs.

We put his on the gauge and found that his trigger pull was at least 7lbs and not consistent. Sometimes we got 7, sometime we go 9, and sometimes 8.

The adjustable trigger was adjustable for overtravel only. He thought that the adjustable was for the pull. It is not. So he did not want to replace trigger.

So the work began. I had a spring kit from Brownells. http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-firing-parts/multiple-spring-kits/1911-complete-spring-kits-prod59701.aspx

Looking at the trigger bows, I found that they were rough and not straight. So I spent an hour or so only on the trigger. Straighten here, bend there, and a little more straightening here, a little more bending there. After I was satisfied with the straightness, I used a fine stone to smooth the rough spots.

By the time I was done, the trigger was about 70% better than what it was and moved freely in the frame. I replaced disconnector and sear. And smoothed the contact face on the hammer.

End result was a gun that recoiled different (recoil spring and main spring replacement) and a smooth trigger that had a pull of 4.5 lbs.

Customer was very happy with the results.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
MisterMcCool Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 11098 Times on 5878 Posts
Likes Given: 23842

Great service. You can give them what they want or you can give them what they ask for. Did he save any money over what that fancy trigger would have cost?

no offense and none taken

Old 02-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4574 Times on 2556 Posts
Likes Given: 2209

Even with a new trigger, there is a lot of fitting to get it correct.
Yes, he saved some money for beers by keeping the old trigger.

And, he is now a repeat customer!

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
People Like This