Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > So many choices....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Cool beans. I don't really expect to have anything as nice as my buddy's Dan Wesson, I just used it as an example of how much fun the 1911's were to too. A lot of good brands out there. I do really like the Kimber's but we'll have to see how long it takes me to save up the cash. hahaha

Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 AM   #12

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrb1982 View Post
Where are some good places online to look at guns to find actual price stuff, not just MSRP values from the manufacturers?
One thing I do to compare is check Gunbroker & Auction Arms for COMPLETED auctions or current auctions THAT HAVE BIDS for the same gun I'n concidering -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

No offense to buyers of Springfield, Rock Island, Taurus or other imports (I carry a Springfield XDm-45 from Croatia), but to me, the 1911 is an American gun, and along with the Winchester lever action 1892 Carbine, is a piece of pure Americana. Therefore, when I decided to get a 1911, it had to be an American-made gun. Aside from those limited production custom models, that means Colt, Kimber, Remington, and Ruger, plus some lesser known manufacturers.

My final choice was dictated as much by tradition as anything else--Colt. I considered Remington, but some scary QC issues early on discouraged me on that one. Ruger was a real contender, but just try to find one. Kimber has several 1911's worth considering.

At the end, why do you want a 1911? It's heavier. It has a lesser magazine capacity than modern double stack polymer designs. It's way more trouble to field strip. You buy it--or at least I did--for tradition and to "have" a 1911. The Colt 01991 model is pure 1911, except for the model 80 safety (which makes it better for carry), and I've seen it locally for as little as $760. A little more than a Ruger or Remington, but "Gee, Dad. It's a Wurlitzer!"

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
No offense to buyers of Springfield, Rock Island, Taurus or other imports (I carry a Springfield XDm-45 from Croatia), but to me, the 1911 is an American gun, and along with the Winchester lever action 1892 Carbine, is a piece of pure Americana. Therefore, when I decided to get a 1911, it had to be an American-made gun. Aside from those limited production custom models, that means Colt, Kimber, Remington, and Ruger, plus some lesser known manufacturers.

My final choice was dictated as much by tradition as anything else--Colt. I considered Remington, but some scary QC issues early on discouraged me on that one. Ruger was a real contender, but just try to find one. Kimber has several 1911's worth considering.

At the end, why do you want a 1911? It's heavier. It has a lesser magazine capacity than modern double stack polymer designs. It's way more trouble to field strip. You buy it--or at least I did--for tradition and to "have" a 1911. The Colt 01991 model is pure 1911, except for the model 80 safety (which makes it better for carry), and I've seen it locally for as little as $760. A little more than a Ruger or Remington, but "Gee, Dad. It's a Wurlitzer!"
You make some very valid points in that post. I guess I never really thought about it from that sort of angle I guess. If there is one pistol I'm in love with, it would be a Kimber. Just have to pony up the cash for one if I want one though. lol

Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ruger SR1911. Loaded with features. Great Customer Service. Hard to find in stock because everyone wants one.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #16

I may just end up saving up and holding out for a Kimber Eclipse Custom II. I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I see one of those things.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #17

Liked 2391 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

IMHO 1911 reliability is 90% YOU, OP.

Most 1911s are going to function relatively

reliably or they wouldn't be on the market.

Get a 1911A1, most design changes from the original

directly affect reliability.

You have to take the gun through the 250

shot break-in.

You have to clean it regularly.

You have to oil it well, and don't forget to

grease the slides.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
IMHO 1911 reliability is 90% YOU, OP.

Most 1911s are going to function relatively

reliably or they wouldn't be on the market.

Get a 1911A1, most design changes from the original

directly affect reliability.

You have to take the gun through the 250

shot break-in.

You have to clean it regularly.

You have to oil it well, and don't forget to

grease the slides.
Well said. I've had a couple buddy's that have had problems with their guns shooting/functioning in the past. By simply cleaning it thoroughly it fixed it. Pretty cheap gunsmithing in my opinion. hhahaha

My second choice would be the Kimber Custom CDP II, and probably a better choice as I think the finish on the eclipse would show scratches and such things a little easier.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2609 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

I've had my share of questionable quality 1911's and top quality 1911's.

My personal experience is that the more homework, research, hands-on evaluation, questioning of owner's is done,
the more I lean to the "expensive" 1911's.

What are you going to use it for? Plinking? then go inexpensive.
Self defense? Is protecting you posterior worth having a quality firearm, holster, and ammunition,
or those of questionable quality?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
I've had my share of questionable quality 1911's and top quality 1911's.

My personal experience is that the more homework, research, hands-on evaluation, questioning of owner's is done,
the more I lean to the "expensive" 1911's.

What are you going to use it for? Plinking? then go inexpensive.
Self defense? Is protecting you posterior worth having a quality firearm, holster, and ammunition,
or those of questionable quality?
I will be mostly using it for just plinking stuff, some self defense also of course. In my mind, if I want the best combo of quality and purpose for myself, I would probably recommend a Kimber Custom II, just the plain-jane black version that I can always piddle with some upgrades if I felt the need later. A good, quality, not as expensive arm as the high end stuff, but still reaps the quality of the higher end stuff, just not the bells and whistles.