So many choices....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > So many choices....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default So many choices....

I shot a buddy's Dan Wesson 45acp 1911 and think it is awesome. Don't know if I've ever had much more fun. Someday I would like to have one, but probably wouldn't spend that much one. If a guy was to spend $700 on one, what would be the way to go? The new Remingtons look kinda nice, the new Ruger's look cool. What about the Taurus' and Rock Island's? I have been told the Taurus' are not the way to go but man are they pretty and the price is right. All I will really be using it for is messing around, no targets, probably won't carry it much if at all. I want something reliable more than anything. Thanks for any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

The quality of a 1911 can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Dan Wesson had established itself, as well as Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and several others.

Before buying any 1911, check it out thoroughly. Some say they have the features of a custom, but that could be like a Yugo having a champagne bar like a Rolls Royce. It is there, but is it the same?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #3

SA makes several 1911 formats under or around 700. Very reliable name!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Likes Given: 1

Where are some good places online to look at guns to find actual price stuff, not just MSRP values from the manufacturers?

Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Reminds me of something the late Paul Harvey said, way back before he started relying so heavily on endorsing products, particularly General Motors. People were asking him about the best automobile to buy. He said that his research revealed that if you received good service from the dealer, you'd be happy with any brand.

I look at pistols the same way. Buy a major brand after researching their customer service record, but also know the dealer you buy from. Any manufacturer can have a bad one get out once in a while, it's how they handle it that counts.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #6

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I got my last Para from Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop for $650.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #7

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You just need to do some research. Find the main manufacturers of 1911s and find the models that you like. Then price compare at local dealers and Bud's Gun Shop Online. Buds is very competitive on price and they don't use MSRPs.

I own a Taurus 1911 stainless and it has been a fantastic gun. I've got about 5500 rounds through it with no issues. Very good choice if you are looking to stay at $600 or less. My recommendation would be to buy as expensive as you can afford. My experience with 1911s is that you get what you pay for.

That being said, I highly doubt you will find anything for $700 that will be as nice as your buddy's Dan Wesson. You'll have to pony up some more money for one of those.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

American Classic (Metro Arms) and Rock Island Armory have some VERY reliable 1911s for significantly less than $700. Check out the various forums and you will find very satisfied customers - and both have a lifetime warranty. I could not be happier with my American Classic II and have just ordered a RIA in 9mm.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
hmh

Liked 141 Times on 97 Posts

I have a kimber and love it you should be able to pick up a bare bones kimber for around $700. A bare bones kimber is not a bare bones 1911. I think the stainless 2 is there bottom.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #10

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For a no frills government 1911 that you can go crazy with,you cant beat an RIA or High Standard. I love my HS, i have a friend thats tried to trade me for his Timber...i mean Kimber, and i said "Hell NO!" best money that i ever spent on a handgun.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis