Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   So many choices.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/so-many-choices-53904/)

mrb1982 12-21-2011 03:33 AM

So many choices....

I shot a buddy's Dan Wesson 45acp 1911 and think it is awesome. Don't know if I've ever had much more fun. Someday I would like to have one, but probably wouldn't spend that much one. If a guy was to spend $700 on one, what would be the way to go? The new Remingtons look kinda nice, the new Ruger's look cool. What about the Taurus' and Rock Island's? I have been told the Taurus' are not the way to go but man are they pretty and the price is right. All I will really be using it for is messing around, no targets, probably won't carry it much if at all. I want something reliable more than anything. Thanks for any input.

danf_fl 12-21-2011 04:16 AM

The quality of a 1911 can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
Dan Wesson had established itself, as well as Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, and several others.

Before buying any 1911, check it out thoroughly. Some say they have the features of a custom, but that could be like a Yugo having a champagne bar like a Rolls Royce. It is there, but is it the same?

kalepas 12-21-2011 04:30 AM

SA makes several 1911 formats under or around 700. Very reliable name!

mrb1982 12-21-2011 07:37 PM

Where are some good places online to look at guns to find actual price stuff, not just MSRP values from the manufacturers?

gollygee 12-21-2011 07:40 PM

Reminds me of something the late Paul Harvey said, way back before he started relying so heavily on endorsing products, particularly General Motors. People were asking him about the best automobile to buy. He said that his research revealed that if you received good service from the dealer, you'd be happy with any brand.

I look at pistols the same way. Buy a major brand after researching their customer service record, but also know the dealer you buy from. Any manufacturer can have a bad one get out once in a while, it's how they handle it that counts.

willfully armed 12-21-2011 08:06 PM

I got my last Para from Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop for $650.

Olympus 12-21-2011 08:26 PM

You just need to do some research. Find the main manufacturers of 1911s and find the models that you like. Then price compare at local dealers and Bud's Gun Shop Online. Buds is very competitive on price and they don't use MSRPs.

I own a Taurus 1911 stainless and it has been a fantastic gun. I've got about 5500 rounds through it with no issues. Very good choice if you are looking to stay at $600 or less. My recommendation would be to buy as expensive as you can afford. My experience with 1911s is that you get what you pay for.

That being said, I highly doubt you will find anything for $700 that will be as nice as your buddy's Dan Wesson. You'll have to pony up some more money for one of those.

DallasShooter 12-21-2011 08:57 PM

American Classic (Metro Arms) and Rock Island Armory have some VERY reliable 1911s for significantly less than $700. Check out the various forums and you will find very satisfied customers - and both have a lifetime warranty. I could not be happier with my American Classic II and have just ordered a RIA in 9mm.

hmh 12-21-2011 09:09 PM

I have a kimber and love it you should be able to pick up a bare bones kimber for around $700. A bare bones kimber is not a bare bones 1911. I think the stainless 2 is there bottom.

MrWray 12-21-2011 09:47 PM

For a no frills government 1911 that you can go crazy with,you cant beat an RIA or High Standard. I love my HS, i have a friend thats tried to trade me for his Timber...i mean Kimber, and i said "Hell NO!" best money that i ever spent on a handgun.