Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > So many 1911 makers which 1 should I buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba View Post
The Desert Eagle 1911 though a fine rendition it is not available in stainless.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun
Oh, I overlooked that part and didnt know the OP was looking for stainless. Sorry about that

Old 08-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #12

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Stainless really cuts the field down. Taurus will be the cheapest. I have a stainless and it's been a great gun. Got close to 5000 rounds through it so far. There are a lot of Taurus-haters out there that tend to exaggerate and pass along 50th hand information that tends to get distorted every time it changes hands.

Springfield Armory Loaded in stainless is another good option. So are Sig Sauer 1911s. I believe they have some stainless models as well.

Just trying to think of some stainless 1911s under $1000.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same question. I am looking for my next gun and I want a 1911 but I don't know which one to buy. Should I stay with the original Colt or do I choose S&W, Kimber, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Ed Brown? HELP!

Ruger Target .22
Springfield Armory XDM .45 5.25
Beretta 92FS

Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #14

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootersandw View Post
I have the same question. I am looking for my next gun and I want a 1911 but I don't know which one to buy. Should I stay with the original Colt or do I choose S&W, Kimber, Ruger, Sig, Springfield, Ed Brown? HELP!
IMO you're only going to get an opinion on that. Those are all great manufacturers...

IMO, i'd go with the Colt. You'll have a bigger price tag, for sure, but you get what you pay for, and in 100 years, when all other competition has faded, it'll STILL be a Colt.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #15

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootersandw
Start your own thread with what you're looking for in terms of features and a price range you'd like to be within.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #16

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hello loctite, I've owned 1911s from most of the major manufacturers, including the Kimbers you mentioned, and some of the custom/semi custom builders; Baer, Wilson, Rock River, Heinie, Clark, etc. We here in the US are fortunate in having so many quality 1911s to choose from.

I have owned five stainless Kimbers, over a period of several years, in three different calibers. I have had excellent luck with Kimbers. Four worked 100% out of the box, while one had an easily correctible issue. All were nicely fitted and finished. I consider Kimbers a very good value for the money. In production guns, Colts have also served me very well, and the Dan wessons are very well fitted and finished production guns, though more expensive than most Colts and Kimbers. I have been very impressed with the Colts produced in the last 10+ years. I believe they are put together better, and are more consistent in quality from gun to gun, than most of my old '70 Series Government Models, Gold Cups and Commanders from 30+ years ago...ymmv

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Para Ordnance also makes some great 1911's. The GI Expert runs about 550 and is a great 1911.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Buythis first one with your gut feeling,you have some familiarity with the breed,this won't be your last.Each time you buy one,and their will be a next time,you will have more experience,know what appeals to you ,the one after that will be bought for an entirely different reason and so on and so on.......I'm on 16 and counting,love em all!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transman View Post
Buythis first one with your gut feeling,you have some familiarity with the breed,this won't be your last.Each time you buy one,and their will be a next time,you will have more experience,know what appeals to you ,the one after that will be bought for an entirely different reason and so on and so on.......I'm on 16 and counting,love em all!
Which of the 16 is your favorite?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #20

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Just remember that a stainless gun will scratch really easily depending on the finish. Maybe get a duracoated/gunkoted one so you can get familiar with the internals and everything without having to worry about scratching, that is of course if you even care about cosmetics in the first place lol.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"