So which brand of 1911 is the Best? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

So which brand of 1911 is the Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #31
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default So which brand of 1911 is the Best?

I currently don't shoot 45ACP any more due to health(Pain issues), but I still own a few, they are all Colts except for 1: 2 GC's, a Combat Commander, and 2 that are in Presentation boxes, a 1986 75th Annv. Gov't Model w/ Cert., and an Auto Ordnance, also Presentation, both of those were my Dad's. I'm looking for a Gov't or Commander in 9MM that I will like. I've heard good things about the SA RO in 9, and a few others....

Edit: Best? Best is the one You like the best..
Asking that, Dan...is like asking What Brand of Bagels are the best. I like Chompie's that I Get @ Frye's, but I miss them Fresh Baked from NYC! The only "Best" answer I can give is on Computers, and APPLE is the best in that category hands down.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 03-15-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #32

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

what's the best brand? when we were kids, Mom bought Skippy................................
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
How many times have we seen such a question and we respond with more questions?

This is just opinion. I do mean to sound like I am dissing others. I'm not. I am going on my experience and opinion.

Just curious what others think are the overall best (and I don't care if those listed are in your stable or not).
It still boils down to best for what??

There is no overall best for everything or there would only be one.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #34

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
gee Jstrong, now you're trying to hurt my feelings!

i had a Silverado, and went back to a Dodge!
First car was a 79 Cheyenne 10 4x4... Transmission pooped the bed at 50k miles...
Dad had a 94 Silverado 1500 go through 3 Transmission in under 65k miles.

The HD's are better but I would not invest in any GM 1/4 ton pick up.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #35
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3525 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1552

Best is subjective.
Hopefully when a noob reads this they will understand.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 05:05 PM   #36

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 433

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
We hear it all the time, and there are plenty of answers to that question that some agree with and others not.

Everyone has an opinion.

Not taking in consideration the actual cost, length of warranty, items covered by warranty, I present you with my top 5 choices:
1. Ed Brown (any Ed Brown 1911)
2. Dan Wesson
3. Les Baer
4. Springfield Armory
5. Colt

These would be my top 5. There are others that would be included if the list was extended to 10:

6. Wilson Combat
7. Fusion Firearms
8. S&W
9. and 10. Kimber (gasp) and RIA (tied)
Best? My opinion of best perhaps, based on those brands I have at least some experience dealing with at some point:
Off the rack brands, in no particular order-
Dan Wesson - I have two, and would buy another without hesitation, budget permitting. They really are that nice.
Springfield Armory - I have a Trophy Match and it is excellent, with never a problem. My sole criticism of SA is: their triggers are unnecessarily heavy out of the box. Nothing an inexpensive trigger job won't fix, but an annoyance nonetheless. That aside, SA offers a LOT of value & choice.
Colt - No real explanation needed. Still the standard by which all are judged. Still on the short list of brands that custom builders will use as a basis for a full custom job.
S&W - I don't own one, but having shot a few, I liked them. Of course, S&W has made some aesthetic choices that some don't care for, and that's fine. But there's really no denying that they are a quality piece.

Customs and Semi customs. Assuming one knows what they are in for ahead of time, they should be fine. Waiting periods. Break-in periods in some cases. Occasionally quirky personalities. Sadly, occasionally spotty CS. Most builders one would list are going to build a nice pistol, which one you buy will probably be driven by which style wins you over. Then there will be the price bracket, At some point it becomes "If you have to ask..." Each builder has their own style and pricing bracket.
I find them all pretty appealing, but I must admit if I were currently shopping for one, I prefer Ed Brown's "look." (Which is kind of ironic with an older Wilson sitting in the safe.)

Other random opinions with varying degrees of experience:
Sig - Great option if your tastes run that way. Quality is great, it boils down to whether you like Sig's aesthetic choices.
Kimber - Get a decent CS dept and an actual warranty and I'll be on board. A premium brand shouldn't be a dice roll.
ARMSCOR and any other Philippine brands - Decent product at a decent price. Whether they should enter a "best of breed" discussion is another matter.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 03-15-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
First car was a 79 Cheyenne 10 4x4... Transmission pooped the bed at 50k miles...
Dad had a 94 Silverado 1500 go through 3 Transmission in under 65k miles.

The HD's are better but I would not invest in any GM 1/4 ton pick up.
my father bought a 1996 Chevrolet truck in 1997 with about 10K on the odometer when got it. it now has well over 400K on it, with the original engine and transmission, whiche nether have ever been rebuilt or into in the least. he's put several water pumps, alternators, starters, fuel pumps and some other minor parts since then.

several years ago, he thought he needed brakes on the rear axle, because it was grabbing a bit when he stopped. brake shoes were okay, but it had a leaking wheel seal, which i replaced along with putting new shoes on too. at that time it had around 365K miles on it and i had to open up the differenteail to replace the wheel seal. the insideslooked better than some new ones i have been into before. maintenance is the key reason that truck is till going strong, not just the brand.

i was taught that this applied to all things mechanical. i treat my firearms like my vehicles. clean and maintained!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:08 PM   #38

Liked 210 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Brown, Wilson, Caspian, STI, and SIG.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #39

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been in love with the 1911 since my Uncle Sam had me qualify with one way back in 1980. Since then I've had Colts, Sigs, a Remington, a Ruger, Springers and one lone Kimber. They all have their strengths (and quirks) but just being at the range every week putting a few rounds through a 1911 beats the dickens out of shooting anything else I own, especially my Glock (although my XDm .40 is a pretty sweet shooter). There are a number of accessories I have that make a difference. The Kimber is a bedside piece with a Crimson Trace light and laser; the Sigs have aggressively checkered front straps; some have white dot sights and some tritium and some are just plain black. Some with 5" barrels, one with a 3" barrel and the rest are commander size. I'm not the kind of guy to pick up a hammer and walk around the house looking for a nail to drive. I'd rather identify the job to be done and then choose the tools needed to get it done. That's my advice for selecting a pistol, too.

For the record, I'd rather push my F150 than drive a Silverado; and, Jif beats Skippy on any sandwich.

"Never ask a man where he's from. If he's from Texas, he'll let you know. If not, you'll embarrass him." - Milton Hokit
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #40
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

We'll stick with our '12 Escape. The new ones are smaller then a Shoebox. Jiff & Skippy were ok, but you really want Heim's Organic PB. These days I have to Drive 45 Minutes to get TJ's PB, it's the only thing that's close. Reading this made me Hungry again after Vinny's NY Pizza, so I had to get some PB & Choc. Chip cookies...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This