Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Smith & Wesson's New Enhanced 1911s (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/smith-wessons-new-enhanced-1911s-36495/)

parinoid54 01-06-2011 08:35 AM

Smith & Wesson's New Enhanced 1911s

Have you guys heard that S&W is coming out with a new line of 1911's? They are calling them "Enhanced," and are to be revealed in the up coming SHOT Show. I saw them on the site of Bud's Gun Shop, but not on S&W's own site (?). So, today I called their customer service line (800-321-0852) and found out a few things about them, as to what is different, like:

1 - recessed and chamferred barrel
2 - oversized (performance center) extractor (still external, thankfully)
3 - precision fitted trigger (finally!)
4 - ambi-thumb safety
5 - checkered grip front strap and back of slide
6 - upgraded wood grips
7 - fish scale slide serrations
8 - night sights (some models)

This line is not their PRO series, but an entirely new line, and if Bud's pricing is correct, is a good value. In speaking with Jeff in customer service, he says their PRINTED 2011 catalog has them in it with detailed info and can be ordered by mail, but their web site is taking a little longer to get current but is coming. A couple of them also feature a rounded butt with a scandium frame and two tone finish or all black, 4.25 bbl, at about 30ozs, still at 8 + 1 rnds. As someone who is and has always preferred the 5" government model, I think I will actually get one of these Commander styles; either the 2-tone or the all black version.

I know, some of us are in love with Colts, or Springfields, or Kimbers, or etc, etc, etc. But isn't it great that more and more 1911's of quality are still coming!

What do you guys think?

spittinfire 01-06-2011 09:18 AM

I've shot a few S&W 1911s and one of their performance center models. I really liked their PC model so if the trigger on this thing comes close to what the one I shot was like, it will be a great improvement.

IGETEVEN 01-06-2011 01:33 PM

I have seen these and they do look "very interesting" to say the least. I will have to wait till a few get some service time in and see the feedback and as Spitty stated, if they did improve the trigger, that would be a great improvement and seller right there.

Gojubrian 01-06-2011 02:05 PM

I sure hope they improved how the trigger fits and feels. Sheesh!

Dillinger 01-06-2011 02:14 PM

It will be interesting to see. I still fell that ambi safety should be a select option on every 1911, but it's not NEEDED on every 1911.

The barrels should have been recessed and crowned in the first place, so that "improvement" is really just catching up with the times.

I look forward to checking them out at SHOT and maybe pirating a picture or two with Scubie's help of diversion. ;)

IGETEVEN 01-06-2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 416280)
I look forward to checking them out at SHOT and maybe pirating a picture or two with Scubie's help of diversion. ;)

LOL...pirating a picture or two! Hell, with a well planned Scubie diversion, you better walk out with one! ;)

Dillinger 01-06-2011 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 416409)
LOL...pirating a picture or two! Hell, with a well planned Scubie diversion, you better walk out with one! ;)

Jack, that would be highly unethical and illegal, not to mention against my good natured and toe the line ways.:cool:

*pssst - Bead Window, Bead Window!!!!* :eek:

Dzscubie 01-06-2011 08:35 PM

Honest occifer, I din't mean to knock over those three booths... SQUIRREL!!! ... Now whash did you want agin???? :confused:

orangello 01-06-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parinoid54 (Post 416143)
7 - fish scale slide serrations

What exactly does this mean? Any got a pic for the slow?

IGETEVEN 01-06-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dillinger (Post 416417)
jack, that would be highly unethical and illegal, not to mention against my good natured and toe the line ways.:cool:

*pssst - bead window, bead window!!!!* :eek:

*Retrograde!!!* ;)