Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Slim grips for normal hands?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2009, 07:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Slim grips for normal hands?

I've just purchased my first 1911, a used SW1911Sc. It has Hogue rubber grips with a palm swell which I don't like. This pistol will be used exclusively for concealed carry so I have been looking at slim grips. I have average size hands. I can grip any single or double stack pistol without problem. Will a set of slim grips feel uncomfortably narrow? Do I need to stick with normal width grips?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you tried the classic Pachmayr Signature grip?

I found, that these are often good for normal sized hands.

But befor you buy some, see if you can try 1911`s with different grips at a range or a gun shop. Maybe at a gunshop, you can mount the grips to try them before buying them.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #3

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Slims do funny things to the "feel" of the gun but they also change the basic geometry of the hand.

First, if you do try a slim set get the new slim bushings and screws or you will ruin the slims by trying to fit them on the existing bushings. Trust me on this one! If you don’t break out the molded in shoulders you will have screw interference with the mag. (Or both)

I have average to large hands and what I found going to the slims, for better conceal carry, moved my trigger finger forward. (Less gun to hold) This required a “long trigger” to be installed for proper finger pad to trigger interface. I loved the slims but just couldn’t adjust to the extra distance my finger needed to travel back just to make contact.

I like my slims, but had no idea going in that it was a bigger change than just the grips.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wilson Combat makes some slim grips that are well reviewed.

2RCO. My girl has a set of these, in pink none the less , that were a tad bit slimmer than the stock ones.

Slim grips take a bit getting used too, I would agree with Cane on that. It does change how the weapon feels in your hand. If you can comfortably use a double stack, then I would think you would be able to handle a single stack with just about any grip on it. You might just need a DIFFERENT set of normal grips that feel better in your particular hand...

JD

Old 02-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #5

I have average sized hands and my SIG GSR Compact has factory slim grips and they feel really good. I even went so far as to radius the front edges of the grips so they blend in with the front strap.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.