Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Slide Stop Problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Slide Stop Problem

Hey All,
I have been reviewing hundreds of 1911 posts and cannot identify the problem I am experiencing......

I have a new Kimber UCII, after it's first field strip and reassembly the slide stop does not seem to be functioning properly. Now let me clarify, I have no problem reinstalling it as most of the posts out there indicate. My problem is the operation of the slide stop. The slide stop is extremely hard to press down to close/release the slide. Does anyone have any theories? My thoughts are the slide plunger being stickey, but it worked fine before and has gotten its lubrication....

Thank you in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 PM   #2

Is it your slide or your slide stop that you have the problem with. If it is your slide stop and the slide racks back smoothly it has noting to do with your plunger. Have you tried closing your slide by pulling back towards you with the clip out. The slide stop should drop and allow the slide to close.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

If you're trying to close the slide using the slide release with an inserted empty mag - it's normal for it to be difficult. The mag follower is pressing into the slide release and you're having to fight this pressure. With the mag out - is it easier? Is the plunger spring working normally?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:01 PM   #4

Mine does the same thing its hard to press down, because its a slide stop not a slide release, the only time you need operate this lever is if your manually locking the slide. When shooting your weapon dont worry about the slide stop just rack the slide back to release it, this is a muscle memory skill that will serve you well.

From your description IMO it sounds normal.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Sauce NARC View Post
its a slide stop not a slide release
I read this a lot but in truth it's both a slide top and slide release. While some folks prefer the slingshot method of releasing the slide - it is by no means the "correct" or "only approved" way to close the slide. I've been using the slide release on every 1911 I've ever owned and will continue to do so.

BTW, it's the only way I know to drop the slide with one hand - pretty important in competition shooting...

Last edited by NGIB; 10-13-2009 at 07:21 PM.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
If you're trying to close the slide using the slide release with an inserted empty mag - it's normal for it to be difficult. The mag follower is pressing into the slide release and you're having to fight this pressure. With the mag out - is it easier? Is the plunger spring working normally?
Thank you for the quick responses- the mag is empty and I can see now how it would apply pressure to the slide stop. I was concerned since I had just reassembled that I had caused damage. I love these forums and hopefully will one day be able to contribute answers instead of questions.

Regards.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I read this a lot but in truth it's both a slide top and slide release. While some folks prefer the slingshot method of releasing the slide - it is by no means the "correct" or "only approved" way to close the slide. I've been using the slide release on every 1911 I've ever owned and will continue to do so.

BTW, it's the only way I know to drop the slide with one hand - pretty important in competition shooting...
I guess i should have prefaced my comments with the fact that i dont shoot competition, only combat style. I rarely even shoot for groups anymore, just practice. I prefer to practice the "slingshot" method because i plan on all fine muscle control going out the window when things start going bang in my direction, and its incredibly diffucult to find and drop a small lever in such conditions.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:54 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Actually it IS a slide stop/release. I always use the slide release myself. I find it a lot easier to use than using 2 hands.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Using the slide stop as a slide release on a 1911 or Smith Auto is not incorrect. It is a bad thing on a Glock because the stop holds the slide about 1/8" from completely open. Releasing from that position can cause failure to feed or lock.

The empty magazine on any of the above will hold the stop in the up/locked position and render it difficult to depress.

It is ill advised to allow any auto pistol slide to slam closed on an empty chamber. It can cause accellerated wear on the sear, especially on 1911's/BHP's

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #10

Default slide stop-release

i have a problem with the stock release on my 1911(i have a toych of the old author in my thumbs) i picked up extened slide releases at local gun show i love them. also would be helpful for people with small hands. just my 2 cents. new to site but expect to get around