Slide release/ Mag question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Slide release/ Mag question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Slide release/ Mag question

So I have compact (3.5") 1911. I have one of three Wilson combat mags that will lock the slide back.

If I were to replace the slide stop, would that help other mags to work correctly? If so is this a " fitted" part? Or am I better off trying t send the mags to Wilson for replacement? Thanks

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 582 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 3368

Start with the mag replacement anyway.

Even if it's not the mags, you would at least get new ones out of it.

Are all 3 the same mag?

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 09-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609
Start with the mag replacement anyway.

Even if it's not the mags, you would at least get new ones out of it.

Are all 3 the same mag?
2 are the same. The other one is the same mag with a different floor plate. It has no issues. The other two wont lock back. Ill see if Wilson replaces or warranties their $38 mags.....

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
So I have compact (3.5") 1911. I have one of three Wilson combat mags that will lock the slide back.

If I were to replace the slide stop, would that help other mags to work correctly? If so is this a " fitted" part? Or am I better off trying t send the mags to Wilson for replacement? Thanks
You might want to consider replacing the follower and springs to those mags. I try to do this every few years after a lot of use. If your sprigs get soft this is sometimes an issue. I think they cost about $10 from Wilson.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post

In my limited personal experience, a quality slide stop, such as a Cylinder &!Slide brand, will require little to no fitting. I installed a C&S extended slide stop in my STI Spartan by removing it from the package and replacing the old stop. Had to modify the grip a tad.

A brand X part can be made to work, but have an assortment of files, Dremel tools, etc. handy.

Although I would expect that if the slide stop was your trouble, it would affect more than one or two magazines. But I am just a shade tree 'smith.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 09-12-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Magazines are the weakest part in the gun. Clean regularly and dispose of when worn out. If Wilson will replace them, definitely get new ones before changing any internal parts on the gun. Remember the K.I.S.S. Principle when working on firearms! You want to start with the simplest repair first.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #7

Thanks gents. Ill give Wilson a call today.

Oh dern....

Old 09-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater

Just sell the 1911!

Old 09-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13

Just sell the 1911!
For??????
A block?

Oh dern....

Old 09-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #10

Liked 1798 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 1177

Have you disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the mags? That should be the first thing in the list. I little grit inside can keep the follower from coming all the way up.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.