Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Slide release/ Mag question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/slide-release-mag-question-96920/)

kytowboater 09-12-2013 04:57 AM

Slide release/ Mag question

So I have compact (3.5") 1911. I have one of three Wilson combat mags that will lock the slide back.

If I were to replace the slide stop, would that help other mags to work correctly? If so is this a " fitted" part? Or am I better off trying t send the mags to Wilson for replacement? Thanks

Mason609 09-12-2013 05:31 AM

Start with the mag replacement anyway.

Even if it's not the mags, you would at least get new ones out of it.

Are all 3 the same mag?

kytowboater 09-12-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609
Start with the mag replacement anyway.

Even if it's not the mags, you would at least get new ones out of it.

Are all 3 the same mag?

2 are the same. The other one is the same mag with a different floor plate. It has no issues. The other two wont lock back. Ill see if Wilson replaces or warranties their $38 mags.....

Cheever 09-12-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1369416)
So I have compact (3.5") 1911. I have one of three Wilson combat mags that will lock the slide back.

If I were to replace the slide stop, would that help other mags to work correctly? If so is this a " fitted" part? Or am I better off trying t send the mags to Wilson for replacement? Thanks

You might want to consider replacing the follower and springs to those mags. I try to do this every few years after a lot of use. If your sprigs get soft this is sometimes an issue. I think they cost about $10 from Wilson.

Gatoragn 09-12-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater (Post 1369416)

In my limited personal experience, a quality slide stop, such as a Cylinder &!Slide brand, will require little to no fitting. I installed a C&S extended slide stop in my STI Spartan by removing it from the package and replacing the old stop. Had to modify the grip a tad.

A brand X part can be made to work, but have an assortment of files, Dremel tools, etc. handy.

Although I would expect that if the slide stop was your trouble, it would affect more than one or two magazines. But I am just a shade tree 'smith.

TekGreg 09-12-2013 09:13 AM

Magazines are the weakest part in the gun. Clean regularly and dispose of when worn out. If Wilson will replace them, definitely get new ones before changing any internal parts on the gun. Remember the K.I.S.S. Principle when working on firearms! You want to start with the simplest repair first.

kytowboater 09-12-2013 10:46 AM

Thanks gents. Ill give Wilson a call today.

cblowe13 09-16-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kytowboater

Just sell the 1911!

kytowboater 09-16-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13

Just sell the 1911!

For??????
A block?

Rick1967 09-16-2013 12:46 PM

Have you disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the mags? That should be the first thing in the list. I little grit inside can keep the follower from coming all the way up.