Slide lock back question?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Slide lock back question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Default Slide lock back question?

Ok so I took my pt 1911 out today for some range time, and had a few times where the slide did not lock back on the last round. I was using two differnt magazines one was a kimber and the other a chip mc cormick shooting star. I never have had a issue with these mags before, the chip mc cormick is one of my favorites. So my question is, what is causing this? Is it the mags or can it be somthing within the pistol? Thank you all for any advice.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

How does it work manually? Is it possible that there is "gunk" in the rail area?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

In 99.9% of the time I've seen this - it's the mags. It's also possible that the slide release has worn, but I doubt it. Not locking back is a sign of weak mag springs...

Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
In 99.9% of the time I've seen this - it's the mags. It's also possible that the slide release has worn, but I doubt it. Not locking back is a sign of weak mag springs...
"Nailed it!"...IMHO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok thanks guys, just wanted to make sure, because the chip mag is not that old, it just has been siting loaded for about 8 months, but the kimber mag is really old.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 04-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You have to remember that 1911 mags are perishable tools. If you use them a decent amount over a long period of time things like this can happen. It sucks having to buy new 1911 mags every couple of years, but if you want your gun to run right..............it has to be done.

Had you used these mags in your Taurus with good results in the past? Granted not all brand new tip top shape mags will run right in every 1911. Sometime they just won't work right in one, and work 100% in another. There ought to not be anything wrong with the CM Shooting star mag even though you have had it sitting around loaded. That does not wear out mag springs.

Chip McCormick has some new Power Mags in black at a really good price right now. You should pick up a couple and see how they work. Good luck diagnosing your problem.

Chip McCormick Power Mags™

Old 04-01-2011, 04:00 AM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1 tmoore, and here's where you need to check.

The slide stop/mag follower interface. Inspect for wear. There is an example in the post below;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f100/tripp-s-cobra-magazine-test-37011/#post439654

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you every one for the help. I may have to get some tripps. That chip mag wasent that old, bought it last year, but the kimber that thing seen some use! Oh well, its all good, can't complain to much I was shooting a 1911 in america so life aint that bad . Thanks again

--George Washington