Slide lock back issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Slide lock back issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Default Slide lock back issue

Ok first thing first this issue is with my taurus PT1911, so go ahead laugh and make fun...... ok now that its out of your system here is the issue. My pt1911 was my first 1911 (I have a colt safe queen also) and it is my beater 1911, it goes to the range and gets shot alot. Story is it will not lock back on the last round in the mag any more. I have used the factory mags, kimber mags and chip mags. All with the same effect. Funny thing is I thought at first it was my reloads because i loaded kinda light and never had the problem with WWB ammo before I started reloading. But I loaded a bath of really hot rounds ( I mean these suckers kick!) But still have the same issue, wont lock back on the empty mag, and I know there is enough force pushing the slide back. What do you all think?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Does the slide lock back when the slide stop is manually engaged? Have you field stripped the gun recently?

The magazine follower is designed to push up on the slide stop and engage the slide. Since the issue is occurring on multiple magazines the problem is most likely the slide stop itself. Field strip the gun and inspect the slide stop for signs of damage or excessive wear. Also make sure that it was installed properly and is fully seated in the frame.

Insert the stop and then a magazine, you should see the point of contact. If no contact is made replace the part.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I agree with Jpyle on this.

Compare the slide stop of the Taurus to your safe queen (or try the one from the safe queen to see if you have the same problem).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I agree also, it sounds like the slide stop

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you use a two hand grip, is there any chance the weak side hand is near the slide stop? Like resting on it? I never let my fingers get near the slide stop or the thumb safety. Some shooters rest their thumbs on them but not me! Never interrupt a moving part!

Rarely do slide stops wear out at the stop/follower interface point. So little force is applied that the wear is minimal.

The mag follower, on the other hand will wear, especially if it's a poly vs steel unit.

This photo shows the slide stop interface. The Tripp mag on the bottom uses a hybrid follower with a metal interface where the Wilson on top uses a poly follower interface. The Wilson shows witness-marks where the slide stop engages the mag when empty. This mag is six month old and speaks volumes as to this critical area.

The slide stop will wear in the contact area with the receiver if no lube is present or the two are made of dissimilar metal. A simple visual inspection will resolve this potential issue.

The slide notch will wear with high round count but this should be visible.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

great advise guys! I have cleaned and field stripped it several times, but it still does it. Also the slide will lock back when I engage it myself. I will compare it to the colt and see what it looks like. Thanks again for the help, this has been ticking me off now for about two months! Stuipd tuarus, 1911's are for colt! LOL

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Assuming the magazine springs and followers are OK:

The leading edge of the slide stop and the edge of the notch in the slide peen and round off over time from impact battering. Check that.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:50 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Ok first thing first this issue is with my taurus PT1911, so go ahead laugh and make fun...... ok now that its out of your system here is the issue. My pt1911 was my first 1911 (I have a colt safe queen also) and it is my beater 1911, it goes to the range and gets shot alot. Story is it will not lock back on the last round in the mag any more. I have used the factory mags, kimber mags and chip mags. All with the same effect. Funny thing is I thought at first it was my reloads because i loaded kinda light and never had the problem with WWB ammo before I started reloading. But I loaded a bath of really hot rounds ( I mean these suckers kick!) But still have the same issue, wont lock back on the empty mag, and I know there is enough force pushing the slide back. What do you all think?
colmustard,

Another way to diagnose the problem, if you haven't already tried it, is to remove the slide and insert the slide lock back into the frame. Now you can insert an empty magazine and better inspect the fit and function of the magazine follower and the slide stop. Having another 1911, you could compare one to the other, in this condition, and probably will come up identifying the problem. Identifying the problem may also serve to find the solution, maybe not. The fit and function of the slide lock and magazine follower is more critical than most shooters realize, simply because they haven't yet had an issue with their gun(s) and therefore have no reason to investigate it. Beyond the stuff, like dirt, you have already accounted for;

- The slide stop is worn.
- The follower is worn, bent, mis-adjusted.
- The index pin is binding.
- The index pin spring is too weak, too stiff.
- You have been shooting during a full moon cycle and not holding your tongue right!!!

I would take the slide off so you can better see what is going on.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thank you eaglesix, I will do that also.

--George Washington

Old 10-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
great advise guys! I have cleaned and field stripped it several times, but it still does it. Also the slide will lock back when I engage it myself.
That narrows it down: I suspect it is a problem with the edges of the stop or frame wearing as the slide momentum is allowing the slide to knock the slide stop out of the way.

It can also be a weak mag spring, but if a bunch of different mags do it, I would bet on the slide stop.