Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Single Stack vs. Double Stack 1911's (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/single-stack-vs-double-stack-1911s-69659/)

AFerree 08-05-2012 04:15 AM

Single Stack vs. Double Stack 1911's

So I am looking for my first 1911 and wondering if I should get a single stack or double. I have questions like the average grip radius of both and in ya'lls opinions about how big your hands have to be in order to hold and wield it comfortably. (yes, an odd question but I only have access to a single stack and want to cover as much ground as I can). And also just information on both that can help me make a decision.

Thanks for any info.

cuba 08-05-2012 04:31 AM

Aferree, Welcome to FirearmsTalk, I would recommend that for your first 1911 that you choose the single stack 1911 and get familiar with the original platform before graduating to a double stack, as far as the grip I think that the double stack feels like if holding a brick YMMV, the only advantage that the double stack has over the original is in IPSC competition, for CCW, range, or home defense I would have to say that the single stack has the advantage, you should wait till you try a double stack before making your decision, so that you will have no regrets.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

rjd3282 08-05-2012 12:19 PM

Had both, the double is so big unless you have monster hands it just isn't comfortable. I have fairly large hands and I didn't like the double at all. Despite what glock says, the single stack 1911 is the original and real perfection. :D

beaglesam 08-05-2012 01:10 PM

I agree single stack is the way to go for your first. AFerree, how much is in your budget are you talking Colt budget or RIA budget?

KeysKelly 08-05-2012 01:30 PM

Being a woman I prefer the single stack due to my smaller hands. I even don't like the Polly double stack .45's. They are just too big for my hands causing me to not get a good firm grip.

Sorry guys but no matter what your wives tell you, Size Does Matter.

AFerree 08-05-2012 03:52 PM

To answer some questions, I was looking at the Kimber Custom II TLE/RL (single) and the STI Tactical 5.0 (double). Yes, higher priced 1911's but possible with enough work. The main reason I was looking at a double stack was when holding a single stack, I couldn't help thinking how small it seemed and I was hoping for this massive gun that could throw chunks of lead down range. Obviously it does have plenty of fire power but being relatively new to the firearm industry and young I had always thought the 1911 was a massive, uncontrollable pistol. And was hoping for that really big gun but in my hands, a single stack just felt small. Yes, an odd perspective but everybody's different.

cuba 08-05-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFerree (Post 893679)
To answer some questions, I was looking at the Kimber Custom II TLE/RL (single) and the STI Tactical 5.0 (double). Yes, higher priced 1911's but possible with enough work. The main reason I was looking at a double stack was when holding a single stack, I couldn't help thinking how small it seemed and I was hoping for this massive gun that could throw chunks of lead down range. Obviously it does have plenty of fire power but being relatively new to the firearm industry and young I had always thought the 1911 was a massive, uncontrollable pistol. And was hoping for that really big gun but in my hands, a single stack just felt small. Yes, an odd perspective but everybody's different.

Well thats the beauty of the original single stack 1911, massive power in a concealable and controllable package.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

KeysKelly 08-05-2012 04:29 PM

If you like the double stack 1911's look at the Para's. They make some great pistols.

Like with any gun, it's all about what feels best in your hand. I like the single stack but I have smaller hands. Have you shot a single and double stack side by side? That is the best way to decide.

Olympus 08-05-2012 07:33 PM

1911 = single stack
2011 = double stack

Hope this clarifies. There are no "double stack 1911s". If you've never owned a 1911, get the real deal first.