Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Silencer for american classic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Default Silencer for american classic

I have the American classic 2 commander series with the 4 inch barrel and am looking to get a silencer for it and do not know how to go about this obviously I'm going to need a threaded barrell but can I just go by this or what else do I need to get also what other license do I need to have beside the concealed carry license on a silencer

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Silencers- aka suppressors- are regulated as firearms under thae 1934 National Firearms Act, much like a ful auto or a short barreled shotgun. We have already answered 3 threads today on Class III stuff- same things apply to suppressors. You must be 21, in a state that does not prohibit, and transfer must be through a dealer with a special license to handle those. Transfer must be approved by the BATFE. $200 tax, prints, paperwork.

See the dealer, who can explain the paperwork. If you are planning to CARRY a handgun with an installed suppressor, you might want to check the dimensions- it ain't what you see in the movies....

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Suppressor.. oh suppressor. Pricey and time torturing. But once you have one, you will be wanting to own another one and so on. Hopefully in less than 2 months, my another suppressor tax stamp gets back.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16916 Times on 9804 Posts
Likes Given: 44108

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
I have the American classic 2 commander series with the 4 inch barrel and am looking to get a silencer for it and do not know how to go about this obviously I'm going to need a threaded barrell but can I just go by this or what else do I need to get also what other license do I need to have beside the concealed carry license on a silencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Silencers- aka suppressors- are regulated as firearms under thae 1934 National Firearms Act, much like a ful auto or a short barreled shotgun. We have already answered 3 threads today on Class III stuff- same things apply to suppressors. You must be 21, in a state that does not prohibit, and transfer must be through a dealer with a special license to handle those. Transfer must be approved by the BATFE. $200 tax, prints, paperwork.

See the dealer, who can explain the paperwork. If you are planning to CARRY a handgun with an installed suppressor, you might want to check the dimensions- it ain't what you see in the movies....
what C3 said pretty much covers the legal aspects of getting one. then there is the cost of the silencer/suppressor, the cost of a new threaded barrel to fit the suppressor, or having a new barrel threaded to fit it, getting the barrel fitted by a gunsmith to fit your slide and frame. now add all that into the cost of the $200 tax stamp and you have an idea of the costs of going that route. likely it will cost way more than you spent on the pistol in the first place.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #5

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Awsome info Thanks for all the help guys

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"