Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Silencer for american classic (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/silencer-american-classic-68743/)

gearhead396 07-23-2012 12:18 AM

Silencer for american classic

I have the American classic 2 commander series with the 4 inch barrel and am looking to get a silencer for it and do not know how to go about this obviously I'm going to need a threaded barrell but can I just go by this or what else do I need to get also what other license do I need to have beside the concealed carry license on a silencer

c3shooter 07-23-2012 12:24 AM

Silencers- aka suppressors- are regulated as firearms under thae 1934 National Firearms Act, much like a ful auto or a short barreled shotgun. We have already answered 3 threads today on Class III stuff- same things apply to suppressors. You must be 21, in a state that does not prohibit, and transfer must be through a dealer with a special license to handle those. Transfer must be approved by the BATFE. $200 tax, prints, paperwork.

See the dealer, who can explain the paperwork. If you are planning to CARRY a handgun with an installed suppressor, you might want to check the dimensions- it ain't what you see in the movies....

okdonk 07-23-2012 01:03 AM

Suppressor.. oh suppressor. Pricey and time torturing. But once you have one, you will be wanting to own another one and so on. Hopefully in less than 2 months, my another suppressor tax stamp gets back. ;)

Axxe55 07-23-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearhead396 (Post 878633)
I have the American classic 2 commander series with the 4 inch barrel and am looking to get a silencer for it and do not know how to go about this obviously I'm going to need a threaded barrell but can I just go by this or what else do I need to get also what other license do I need to have beside the concealed carry license on a silencer

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 878641)
Silencers- aka suppressors- are regulated as firearms under thae 1934 National Firearms Act, much like a ful auto or a short barreled shotgun. We have already answered 3 threads today on Class III stuff- same things apply to suppressors. You must be 21, in a state that does not prohibit, and transfer must be through a dealer with a special license to handle those. Transfer must be approved by the BATFE. $200 tax, prints, paperwork.

See the dealer, who can explain the paperwork. If you are planning to CARRY a handgun with an installed suppressor, you might want to check the dimensions- it ain't what you see in the movies....

what C3 said pretty much covers the legal aspects of getting one. then there is the cost of the silencer/suppressor, the cost of a new threaded barrel to fit the suppressor, or having a new barrel threaded to fit it, getting the barrel fitted by a gunsmith to fit your slide and frame. now add all that into the cost of the $200 tax stamp and you have an idea of the costs of going that route. likely it will cost way more than you spent on the pistol in the first place.

gearhead396 07-23-2012 03:33 AM

Awsome info Thanks for all the help guys