Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sig Snag...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sig Snag...

I have the Sig Ultra 1911 with the 3-inch bull barrel (no barrel bushing). I installed the Clark sear spring and also a new slide stop because the slide was not locking back on the final round. I took it out for a test, and used 10 different mags, and the slide locked back every single time (over 100 rounds). Out of all those rounds, twice the pistol failed. The hammer was back, but the trigger would not release it. A round was in the chamber. Both times, a quick rack of the slide ejected the live round and loaded another, and both times it fired the follow-up round. And, both times the follow-up round was the final round in the magazine. This is a minor mystery. Thoughts?

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have two Sig GS's. I have tried changing parts out with Wilson Combat and Ed Brown parts. I wanted to change a thumb safety here, install a magwell there. Little thimgs. Well, my Sig's always refused to work properly anytime I changed a part out for an aftermarket part. The parts always look the same and measure out the same, but the gun wouldn't work. Now I'm no formally trained gunsmith, but I have built and rebuilt my 1911's for a long time. Now I just leave well enough alone with my Sig's!

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
KMO

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is merit in your point. My dad always said, "Keep it stock, the way it was designed." Of course, he was talking about my tendency to modify my vehicles. In the case of my Sig, the failure I described in the OP was actually much worse before I installed the Clark sear spring. I have the same spring in my Sig C3 1911, and it has been flawless. My local friend suggests removing the sear spring & polish it, just in case there are small burrs. Other ideas?

"In God We Trust"
www.SunflowerAmmo.com
www.Mo-Rod.com

Old 09-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2667 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

How many rounds do you have through the firearm totally?

I would not start polishing yet. I would look at other parts. Disconnector or the sear. If the sear spring needed to be worked on, then what got the hammer to stay back? The sear spring seems to be doing its job correctly. The sear seems to be working correctly. That leaves the disconnector (a part that seldom get replaced, but should as it wears down). The trigger pushes on the disconnector to push the sear off the hammer.

Get a new disconnector first (inexpensive) and see if that works.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I just acquired a new Sig 1911 Carry in stainless. It is not as smooth as my STI, the trigger isn't as silky as my STI and I prefer different grips than the stock.

However, words of wisdom from Canebrake: shoot it, clean it & repeat (summarized quote). I changed the grip only because it suits my hand (and looks better). Beyond that I'm just going to shoot the snot out of it.

Personally, I won't CC a pistol until I have a minimum of 500 rounds through it because trust must be earned, especially by something that I carry to prevent me or mine from being hurt/killed.

After you have at least 500 round downrange, then think about making functional changes. JMHO

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Newest Threads