Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Sig Sauer 1911 Revolution? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/sig-sauer-1911-revolution-9918/)

Franciscomv 01-13-2009 03:09 PM

Sig Sauer 1911 Revolution?

I've been looking at .45's lately, there's not much to choose from in my country. I was going to get a Para Ordnance, but I just found out that a local gun shop is importing Sigs, which hadn't been available here for a while (with a few exceptions). And the price is great compared to my other options ($1200, Paras are $1650, a Glock costs around $1000 just for reference).

Although I'm not in love with the accesory rail thingy, I like everything else about this gun. Would you guys recommend it as my first 1911?

http://fullaventura.com/sitios/gunsh...hop64_1(1).jpg

Dillinger 01-13-2009 03:23 PM

If those are your choices available, I would say the Sig wins hands down personally.

It's a well built piece, the fit and finish is nice and the weapon feels good in the hand, but all 1911's feel good in my hands for some reason. :rolleyes:

With the "Tactical Rail" I think that is an idea that's time never came, has stayed too long, and needs to die out a quick death. You don't need a $700 combination light and laser on the bottom of your pistol. I understand there COULD be an application for it, but they make rails for $50 that you can drill and tap onto an existing gun, you don't need to mass produce and entire line of pistols for it.

Of the choices, the Sig is a very good one, the only thing I would suggest is getting the night sights and having a trigger job done. The two that I have held, one I shot and one I played with at the Shot Show last year, had a less than great trigger on them. A little tuning and I think it would be a real nice piece for you.

JD

Franciscomv 01-13-2009 05:13 PM

Do you know if it's compatible with most 1911 aftermarket parts? I don't really plan to add anything, but it would be great just in case something breaks.

There's a good armourer at my gun club who can tune the trigger. According to the shop's website, the gun has an adjustable trigger but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Since we're in the middle of the summer holidays in Argentina, the store is going to be closed until the 21st, so I've got lots of time to research the gun.

Dillinger 01-13-2009 07:10 PM

It depends on WHAT aftermarket part you would be buying, some would drop right in, some would require MINOR gunsmith help to put in and some are completely custom fit. That is the same for ANY 1911 though - so you aren't getting something that is WAY out of spec and needs everything to be hand fitted....

As for the trigger, it's pretty simple on the surface, there is a set screw in the front of the trigger, at least on most of them, you adjust a little here, or a little there and do your basic tuning. The real mastery is when you get inside and start messing with the sear engagement and things of that nature.

JD

Jay 01-14-2009 12:02 AM

I think you'll find that the trigger is adjustable for over-travel, but not for pull. I have the 5" GSR, and the 4" Platinum Carry Elite, and neither one needs a trigger job. They both break about 3.5 pounds. Fit, finish and accuracy is very good. The grip safety is shaped differently than the usual "memory bump", but it's not uncomfortable, just different.

squib 01-15-2009 02:52 AM

WOW ! We just think that our prices for guns are high !!
Most all reviews written and most all forums that I have read
certainly rate the Sig 1911 very highly. Never have read any derogatory
info..........it must be a good gun not to have ANY bad write ups !
Jay"s post is about on par with most write ups---Good !
:eek: Can't imagine $1000.00 for a Glock,although it may come to that .

Franciscomv 01-15-2009 09:30 PM

You think those prices are high? I called the importer and he claims he made a mistake on his website and that 1911 Sigs will cost around $1900.

As a rule of thumb, Argentine gun prices are twice as high as American prices. Even Bersas (which are made half an hour away from my house) are more expensive here than in the US.