Sig Carry 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sig Carry 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Sig Carry 1911

I picked up the Sig last night so I figured a thread on this particular model is in order - especially because Sig 1911s don't get the "press" that other models do. First impressions are that this is a very smooth gun. Fit & finish are great and the trigger is light & crisp - as is the safety. The slide to frame fit is also very good and the slide operates very smoothly. The front strap checkering is perfect as it provides a nice grip without being to "sharp" as many other guns are.

It's a true Commander sized gun and it even has a bushed barrel and short rod & plug recoil system - as a 1911 should have. The 4 inch guns from Kimber & Springer use bull barrels and require some form of takedown tool which I find irritating. Lots of positive features but there are some negatives as well.

As oldcoptn46 mentioned in another thread, the Novak night sights on this gun are extremely bright but they have little contrast in normal lighting. Most night sights surround the tritium vials with a painted ring to provide this contrast - not so on this gun. The second weakness is that the slide shape (actually the cross-section) is different from the standard and some holsters will not fit. I have a lot of 1911 holsters and this gun fits in maybe half of them. Anything that is tightly molded to the "standard" is not going to work.

The last negative is surprising to me but I'll bet it causes many folks to pass this gun up in their LGS. The mainspring housing has a notch cut out for a lanyard loop on the back bottom. It looks nice and is a nifty feature but it's really poorly implemented. The notch has two sharp edges that "catch" you in the heel of your hand and is very uncomfortable. I can imagine many folks quickly put this gun down when the notch bites them when they take a shooting grip. As I always change to an arched MSH anyway - no big deal and the one in my parts box went on in 2 minutes without issue.

I'll shoot this one tonight and we'll see how it does throwing lead downrange. My quick picture of it wearing the grips I got from JD. After I took the picture, I swapped out the MSH and put on the Pachmayr grips I like for shooting...

Last edited by NGIB; 03-12-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2776 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

It looks good. I had a holster fitting problem with one DW.
If it fits in some holsters, that's better than not fitting in all.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It looks good NGIB. I'm sure it is happy to be in the hands of someone that can appreciate it.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations. Let us know how it shoots.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #5

How did it end up shooting this evening bud? Sorry I couldn't hang around longer.... Dang 90 mile round trip.....and I didn't even shoot LOL.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentghost View Post
How did it end up shooting this evening bud? Sorry I couldn't hang around longer.... Dang 90 mile round trip.....and I didn't even shoot LOL.
Used the P229 during the event (tough scenarios tonight BTW). I did put 3 mags thru this one after we got done and she's a smooth shooter for sure. After shooting the .40 all evening, the .45 felt like a 9mm...

Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, Dave I don't know about you, but I offically dislike shooting in the dark with a flashlight and having to do a mag change.
Here are some vids of the shoot.

I had lots of fun. I hope to see you in another two weeks.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoore912 View Post
Ok, Dave I don't know about you, but I officially dislike shooting in the dark with a flashlight and having to do a mag change.

I had lots of fun. I hope to see you in another two weeks.
No joke as that is seriously difficult. Walking towards the target while trying to engage the 3 small targets was very difficult as well. It was damn sure fun though...

Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 174

me like