Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Sig C3 Compact 1911 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/sig-c3-compact-1911-a-56113/)

KMO 01-23-2012 03:57 AM

Sig C3 Compact 1911

I just picked up a new Sig C3. I haven't fired it yet, but I'm impressed with the fit & finish. One thing though...The slide does not lock back with either of the two factory magazines inserted (empty). I have 3 other mags for the compact 1911 with the officer's size grip, and the slide does not lock back with them either. A break-in issue perhaps?

Olympus 01-23-2012 02:17 PM

I would give it a good range session with assorted mags and see how it does. If you still have problems with all mags, contact Sig about the issue.

KMO 01-26-2012 01:02 PM

Yes, that would be the typical process..call Sig. But, this just can't be all that difficult to address. I now have 100 rounds through this pistol. It rivals my Ruger SR1911 full size 1911 in accuracy, so I'm impressed with how well it shoots! But, not having the slide lock back, despite using 5 different magazines designed for an Officer's size pistol, is frustrating. I know how to use the phone & dial Sig, but has anyone dealt with this issue for this 1911? ...perhaps with another make?

gollygee 01-26-2012 06:54 PM

The only time I've had that issue was with a Colt mag that came with my XSE & had a Chip McCormick follower. Seems the flimsy follower would flex rather than lift the slide catch when the last round was fired! I changed the internals to Wilson spring & follower & the problem went away.

I wouldn't think you'd get 5 mags that are all defective, so I'd suspect it has something to do with the slide stop. Maybe too stiff for the mag follower to lift it, or something like that. I don't have a Sig & do not know how their follower is designed in regard to catching the slide stop on that last round.

KMO 01-26-2012 11:09 PM

I may have figured this out. I mean, there are only a few things that need to work right in order for the slide to lock back, so it just had to be something a guy could fix himself, right?

Out of my 5 mags, all with the identical follower (same patent # stamped on each one), only one would lock the slide. I really had to study it to discover what was different about it from the other 4. I finally found it. At the "V" bend where the upper and lower parts of the follower come together, the working follower had a tighter bend in it (sharper angle) than the other 4 did. (see photo in post below)

I have some pliers with parallel jaws that come together perfectly flat, so I took each follower and a nice crisp angle at the rear of each one. I had to squeeze these buggers pretty hard, as the steel in these followers springs back to its former position pretty well. This process left each follower a little "flatter" when I was finished.

After replacing each follower on its spring and back into the magazine, I then opened up the angle just slightly with a small wooden dowel (about pencil size). I'll be darned if every one of these things isn't locking back the slide now. ;)

HOSSFLY 01-26-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO (Post 690334)
I may have figured this out. I mean, there are only a few things that need to work right in order for the slide to lock back, so it just had to be something a guy could fix himself, right?

Out of my 5 mags, all with the identical follower (same patent # stamped on each one), only one would lock the slide. I really had to study it to discover what was different about it from the other 4. I finally found it. At the "V" bend where the upper and lower parts of the follower come together, the working follower had a tighter bend in it (sharper angle) than the other 4 did.

I have some pliers with parallel jaws that come together perfectly flat, so I took each follower and a nice crisp angle at the rear of each one. I had to squeeze these buggers pretty hard, as the steel in these followers springs back to its former position pretty well. This process left each follower a little "flatter" when I was finished.

After replacing each follower on its spring and back into the magazine, I then opened up the angle just slightly with a small wooden dowel (about pencil size). I'll be darned if every one of these things isn't locking back the slide now. ;)

Now shoot it :rolleyes:

KMO 01-27-2012 02:29 AM

Amen, brother...enough tinker'n already! Let's head for the range! :D

BullseyePrecision 01-27-2012 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO
I just picked up a new Sig C3. I haven't fired it yet, but I'm impressed with the fit & finish. One thing though...The slide does not lock back with either of the two factory magazines inserted (empty). I have 3 other mags for the compact 1911 with the officer's size grip, and the slide does not lock back with them either. A break-in issue perhaps?

Can we see pictures plz

KMO 01-28-2012 01:24 AM

OK...Maybe this photo will help describe how I dealt with this problem...

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ollowerMod.jpg

BullseyePrecision 01-28-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMO
OK...Maybe this photo will help describe how I dealt with this problem...

A picture of the gun