Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue
ok, 53 total parts on a Sig Scorpion. Minus the magazine and grips-2 grips counts as 1 part-

So, 51 parts, 2 are MIM that 96.07843137254902% bar stock metal baby
That my friend is a high percentage

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #42

The SWAT team of the the PD I work for ordered Sig 1911's for their members about a year ago. They're extremely disappointed with them.

Basic quality control issues have cropped up that include trigger assembly problems and jams while using high-quality ammo. The unit is now searching for a new model in another non-Sig 1911 model.

Sig customer service has been very poor. The P220 I've carried for over 10 years has been a fantastic duty weapon. But now Dog's quality seems to be going downhill.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight.
It's the size of the fight in the dog!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthMtn
The SWAT team of the the PD I work for ordered Sig 1911's for their members about a year ago. They're extremely disappointed with them.

Basic quality control issues have cropped up that include trigger assembly problems and jams while using high-quality ammo. The unit is now searching for a new model in another non-Sig 1911 model.

Sig customer service has been very poor. The P220 I've carried for over 10 years has been a fantastic duty weapon. But now Dog's quality seems to be going downhill.

Which model sig is it?

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #44

Meant to write Sig's quality.....not Dog's quality.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #45

The model our SWAT team used was the Sig 1911 TAC Ops model.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthMtn
The model our SWAT team used was the Sig 1911 TAC Ops model.

Hmmm. That's the first I've heard problems with those. They've proven to be solid from what I've heard

~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #47

Our PD has used P220's and P239's for many years and have had very few problems. The Tactical Operations 1911 model has been a bust from the jump. My best friend's 1911 had the hammer crack. Other guys had their mags fracture, and many of the springs had to be replaced after firing 200-300 rounds.

Who knows.....it could've been a bad lot, but because so many of them have failed it just appears to be a quality control issue.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:03 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Man you're bold. You just really put down a lot of members and you're new to the forum. In my experience I'm far from envious. My sig Stx puts most Kimbers to shame as far as fit and finish and overall reliability. I only put down manufactures I've had personal experience with. Kimbers that I have dealt with, haven't impressed me. When they work, they work great and accurate as all get out. But too many problems IN MY EXPERIENCE. not every kimber is like that. Will I ever be able to shoot every single model kimber makes to accurately make an assessment? No. I haven't shot one that works 100% every time. Given the price point, that is not acceptable to me. Anything that is mass produced will have potential for failure, that's a fact. And a 1yr warranty doesn't put much faith in their quality IMO.
I agree, a one year warranty, plastic parts, (do not get me wrong I own a full size Sig P250, it is mostly plastic as far frame goes, but it shoots as accurate as my friends P229) For the price that Kimber demands, there should be NO plastic parts, you should get at least a 5 to 10 year if not a LIFETIME warranty. I have held the Sig Scorpion 1911 and I thought that thing was freaking awesome, haven't shot a Sig 1911 yet, from what I have read and believe me, I know you have to read 12 stories or reviews of a weapon and take the name brand fans out of the equation, and you take the majority of the people that say it is good and bad and find a nice in between, I do not care what anyone says, there will be problems with any weapon that is mass produced, it happens, same as vehicles, you could literally buy a real Ferrari and maybe one out 100 will have some type of problem that has to be fixed. Now if you have the resources then go out and get the Les Baer or Wilson, but for others that cannot afford one, you can get even a Rock Island 5" barrel for a little under $500 where I live, then over time you could pile it up with more expensive parts. But for price, warranty, customer service, I really like the Sig. I want a Wilson or Baer, but Sig is in my price point.

I guess I am getting at, just get what you like, if there is an issue call the manufacturer, maybe they will fix maybe they will not, but people get paid to say good things about everything now a days, so you take a weapon review with a grain of salt, NO ONE ever discloses what manufacturers pay them to say good things about their name brand, other just love a certain brand...I own a Colt Ar-15 and love it, but I still may go with a Sig 1911

Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthMtn View Post
Our PD has used P220's and P239's for many years and have had very few problems. The Tactical Operations 1911 model has been a bust from the jump. My best friend's 1911 had the hammer crack. Other guys had their mags fracture, and many of the springs had to be replaced after firing 200-300 rounds.

Who knows.....it could've been a bad lot, but because so many of them have failed it just appears to be a quality control issue.

It is like I said in my last post, you have take reviews with a grain of salt....I have NEVER heard of anything wrong with the TacOps Sig 1911. I have had nothing but great service from Sig. I have noticed if you call up a company and start out with an attitude you get poor service, I own a business and know from first hand experience, if you come at me with attitude i turn "dumb" although I am a very smart person. If you call and talk nice and ask them questions, they have solved any problem I have had, granted it was a question on finding more P250 full size mags and getting a better deal on the smaller frames and slide, which they happily obliged.

Also, I have seen how police officers handle weapons and it isn't pretty. I think this sounds like a shooter error or cleaning issue. 1911's are not like the P220's P229's, or even the polymer P250's or even a glock, that is why most departments issue glocks, they can use them all day, sometimes for weeks or months with out cleaning. A 1911 on the other hand likes to be clean and beautiful, like a Ferrari.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #50

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber - 1911 Forum

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!