Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Don't get me wrong. I hold Colt in high regard, but between my brother and a couple of friends, we have about 6 Kimbers. None has given a single issue. I have fired many, many makes of 1911 over the years. ALL of them will have occaisional blips. It's usually shooter, ammo or care that are at the root of the problem. Hell, I even have plenty of trigger time on an old Norinco 1911 that was every bit as reliable and accurate as any Colt I've ever fired. It may not have had such a fine finish, but it performed quite well.
Mind you, I am speaking from personal experience and other may have had different results, but Kimber was the first to bring a nice trigger to a mass produced gun some 10 years or so back. I've seen several companies move to match that one attribute in the last few years.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
SIG

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Please don't let the Kimber haters dissuade you from getting one of their great pistols. I have two, the latest being a Super Carry Custom .45 and it is superb. Perfect fit and finish and it feeds and fires anything I put in it. Anyone who bashes Kimber, especially those who rank them under a Hi Point more than likely can't afford one in the first place and are just jealous of those who can.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM   #23

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG
Please don't let the Kimber haters dissuade you from getting one of their great pistols. I have two, the latest being a Super Carry Custom .45 and it is superb. Perfect fit and finish and it feeds and fires anything I put in it. Anyone who bashes Kimber, especially those who rank them under a Hi Point more than likely can't afford one in the first place and are just jealous of those who can.
I'm not a Kimber hater, just not a kimber lover. They do make some nice pieces, my brother has a TLE Rl/ii and its a nice 1911. With that being said, even after 1000+ rounds he still has feeding problems (even with Wilson mags and chip mags) and 1 out of every couple magazines it will stove pipe. Another friend of mine has the raptor and he's had nothing but problems. Like I said in my earlier post-they used to be a lot better than recent b/c their quality control has gone down. And they do produce a lot of 1911's a year in their defense. And i can't see spending over $1000 for a 1911 with plastic-still boggles my mind they do that. Whether it effects the overall functioning of the gun, probably not but still. They'll never get a dime from me until they change that. And i agree, putting kimber below a hi-point....don't think so. I'd rather have a hammer than a hi-point b/c that's all they're good for. Boom boom! Crap! Whoosh whoosh! Thud! (That's a hi point gun fight)

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Last edited by g17frantz; 01-31-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG
I just rolled my eyes at the end of your statement....kimbers aren't ferraris....Its not like they check your credit to see if you qualify for financing at the gun shop...lol. "jealous"..."can't afford it"...thats petty.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmyg1ock
There is a sig 1911 at the local shop that caught my eye, I'm considering buying as it is a very beautiful weapon. The thing is, I haven't heard much about the Sig 1911s (didnt even know they made one until recently)....my question is, how do they stack up against the Colts and Kimbers that, from what I hear, seem to be the best?
I say If you like the sig get it, I own a kimber target 5 inch, S&W 1911PD 4 1/4 inch & A Colt Defender, The kimber is the most accurate in my opinion By a small margin,My Smith is my carry gun w/ C/T lasergrips & colt is great, My Father owns many colt Gold cups & Gov. Model 70,80&90series The guns are all very close and can outshoot most shooters.I love my S&W But if I had to pic 1 KIMBER all day. It blows my mind how many people do not give Kimber the credit it deserves?

Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #26
SIG

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabe View Post
I just rolled my eyes at the end of your statement....kimbers aren't ferraris....Its not like they check your credit to see if you qualify for financing at the gun shop...lol. "jealous"..."can't afford it"...thats petty.
Petty? Don't think so. To people who buy Hi Points and Taurus and other junk guns they are Ferraris and elicit the same envy. When you can't afford to buy something you make yourself feel better by cutting that item down in any way you can. This is basic human nature and it applies to envy of the rich, envy of expensive cars, and envy of expensive guns, to name just a few. - Second point is that Kimber has no more or less problems than any other gun manufacturer. Glock, Remington, Ruger, Kahr, all have their problems. For every complaint against Kimber I can match it with an equal number of praises. To say Kimbers and the others aren't good guns is ludicrous and disingenuous. If all they made was crap they'd be out of business in no time.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG
Petty? Don't think so. To people who buy Hi Points and Taurus and other junk guns they are Ferraris and elicit the same envy. When you can't afford to buy something you make yourself feel better by cutting that item down in any way you can. This is basic human nature and it applies to envy of the rich, envy of expensive cars, and envy of expensive guns, to name just a few. - Second point is that Kimber has no more or less problems than any other gun manufacturer. Glock, Remington, Ruger, Kahr, all have their problems. For every complaint against Kimber I can match it with an equal number of praises. To say Kimbers and the others aren't good guns is ludicrous and disingenuous. If all they made was crap they'd be out of business in no time.
Man you're bold. You just really put down a lot of members and you're new to the forum. In my experience I'm far from envious. My sig Stx puts most Kimbers to shame as far as fit and finish and overall reliability. I only put down manufactures I've had personal experience with. Kimbers that I have dealt with, haven't impressed me. When they work, they work great and accurate as all get out. But too many problems IN MY EXPERIENCE. not every kimber is like that. Will I ever be able to shoot every single model kimber makes to accurately make an assessment? No. I haven't shot one that works 100% every time. Given the price point, that is not acceptable to me. Anything that is mass produced will have potential for failure, that's a fact. And a 1yr warranty doesn't put much faith in their quality IMO.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-31-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
SIG

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Man you're bold. You just really put down a lot of members and you're new to the forum. In my experience I'm far from envious. My sig Stx puts most Kimbers to shame as far as fit and finish and overall reliability. I only put down manufactures I've had personal experience with. Kimbers that I have dealt with, haven't impressed me. When they work, they work great and accurate as all get out. But too many problems IN MY EXPERIENCE. not every kimber is like that. Will I ever be able to shoot every single model kimber makes to accurately make an assessment? No. I haven't shot one that works 100% every time. Given the price point, that is not acceptable to me. Anything that is mass produced will have potential for failure, that's a fact. And a 1yr warranty doesn't put much faith in their quality IMO.
Just relating the facts as I see and have experienced them. Sorry if it hurts your feelings but the truth sometimes hurts. I work at a LGS, the largest firearms retailer in the country (and it's not Walmart) and come in contact with more firearms on a daily basis than most of you do and I see the good guns and the problem ones all the time. For example, we send back more Taurus pistols than anything else by a wide margin. It's so bad that no one who works there wants to sell them and we always try to redirect the customer to some other brand. This is fact, not conjecture. Not saying all their guns are junk, just a large percentage of their pistols. - Now, is me saying this based on my personal observations better or worse than someone who says Kimbers are lower on the tree than Hi Point with nothing to back it up? Didn't think so.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG
Just relating the facts as I see and have experienced them. Sorry if it hurts your feelings but the truth sometimes hurts. I work at a LGS, the largest firearms retailer in the country (and it's not Walmart) and come in contact with more firearms on a daily basis than most of you do and I see the good guns and the problem ones all the time. For example, we send back more Taurus pistols than anything else by a wide margin. It's so bad that no one who works there wants to sell them and we always try to redirect the customer to some other brand. This is fact, not conjecture. Not saying all their guns are junk, just a large percentage of their pistols. - Now, is me saying this based on my personal observations better or worse than someone who says Kimbers are lower on the tree than Hi Point with nothing to back it up? Didn't think so.
Hey I'm with you, I would never put a hi point above kimber. And as far as hurting my feelings, gonna take a lot more that that. I just hate when people are biased, not envious. I'm envious of people who own an ed brown or Wilson combat-but I would never talk down on either one because I have never held or shot one. The member JonM who wrote the original statement about hi point above kimber is by far, not envious or jealous of anyone who owns one, trust me. Not everyone is as "envious" as you think.

~John F. Kennedy

Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #30

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ive had first hand experience with 5 kimbers now and all five of them had FTF problems, even after 500rds,why in the hell would i be envious of that? Their CS is shadey and their QC lacks alot to be desired. Im not bashing a person that buys a kimber, if you got a good one great!! But im not gonna spend 1k+ for one.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis