Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/sig-1911-vs-colt-kimber-56564/)

touchmyg1ock 01-29-2012 03:01 PM

Sig 1911 vs colt/kimber

There is a sig 1911 at the local shop that caught my eye, I'm considering buying as it is a very beautiful weapon. The thing is, I haven't heard much about the Sig 1911s (didnt even know they made one until recently)....my question is, how do they stack up against the Colts and Kimbers that, from what I hear, seem to be the best?

JonM 01-29-2012 03:11 PM

colt then a few steps back springfield armory then sig some where under hipoint way down is kimber.

thats how i rank em.

touchmyg1ock 01-29-2012 03:25 PM

High point over sig and kimber? Wow ...I'm looking for how Sig 1911s compare to the top 1911 manufacturers, not a favorites list. Any helpful suggestions?

CSI713 01-29-2012 03:33 PM

Sig makes an excellent 1911. The top reputable makers are Colt, Kimber, Wilson Auto-Ordinance and this list continues with many more of both customized specialties down to to lower end manufacturers. Sig is a reputable gun manufacturer and produce very reliable firearms.

mesinge2 01-29-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 692910)
colt then a few steps back springfield armory then sig some where under hipoint way down is kimber.

thats how i rank em.

I disagree. My Kimbers perform every bit as well as my Colts and Springers. My only issue with Kimber is their use of MIM parts, just a personal preference but I don't like them. Although the Kimber MIM parts have never failed on me once either.

Belltactical 01-29-2012 03:46 PM

I've had a couple come through the shop for sights and minor tweaks. They seem to be well made and tight. I haven't shot one though. My carry is a full size government (colt) or Kimber 3 inch ultra carry and in 5 years, I've never had any type of "serious" problem. I do hate the ultra carry takedown process - you need a paper clip or equivalent but it more than makes up for it in accuracy and control which is a huge factor on a 3 incher 45. I would assume that the 1911 pattern would hold up as well as my little guy and it's dimensionally correct if you want to build up on it. Just not sure if you would do better with another weapon that's been around for a while.

touchmyg1ock 01-29-2012 03:46 PM

What are mim parts an does sig use them? I am basically looking for reliability and accuracy. I would also prefer everything to be mil-spec. I don't like junk or cheap stuff

Belltactical 01-29-2012 03:48 PM

Colt. Series 70 NIB - check with your local dealer.

dunerunner 01-29-2012 03:52 PM

I don't like MIM parts, due to the corrosion factor. It may be something I assumed, but i carry in wet, sometimes salty conditions. Metal Injection Moulded parts are all over the place and have proven to be durable and reliable...It's just me, I guess!!

I have heard folks having issues with Kimbers rusting, but I feel that is a lack of proper maintenance. I am so used to my stainless Colt, I would probably not oil an iron (steel) frame pistol enough either!

I'll add that I like Colt, Springfield, Sig and Kimber 1911's equally, but I'm a 1911 junkie!!

mesinge2 01-29-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunerunner (Post 692960)
I don't like MIM parts, due to the corrosion factor. It may be something I assumed, but i carry in wet, sometimes salty conditions. Metal Injection Moulded parts are all over the place and have proven to be durable and reliable...It's just me, I guess!!

I have heard folks having issues with Kimbers rusting, but I feel that is a lack of proper maintenance. I am so used to my stainless Colt, I would probably not oil an iron (steel) frame pistol enough either!

I'll add that I like Colt, Springfield, Sig and Kimber 1911's equally, but I'm a 1911 junkie!!

About the same here. I am a 1911 guy and my favorite manufacturers are Colt, Kimber, Springfield, then SIG and S&W. I put SIG and S&W after the others only because of their use of an external extractor. There is noting wrong with an external extractor, its just that I prefer the traditional internal one. Heck, I even own a S&W 1911 E-series.