Should I be worried about an alloy framed 1911? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Should I be worried about an alloy framed 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Congratulations on the new Kimber Darin.

How's the rifle project coming along?
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Most of the 4" have alloy frames. I am pretty leery of an aluminum frame, should I be?

I've been a pistol shooter for about 50 years. Most of successful shooting with a pistol starts inside your own head. If you are leery of the alloy frames, then the best plan is to stay away from them. Get what you have confidence in and it doesn't matter one bit what someone else thinks.

Flash

Old 02-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3483 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
My father has an AMT 380 back up. Is there anything that we should be on the look out for?
Arcadia Machine & Tool was a machine shop that decided that at a time when pistols were a big commodity, they were a gun shop, pretty much overnight.

You could literally pick up two "identical" models, one would make noise like a Rattler's tail and the other would be near perfect fit by inspection.

If you have one that shoots & performs, you got one of their quality ones and they are quite good, considering the materials, timeframe of the production and the fact that they were pretty far out on the "copy/clone" branch.

If it commonly misfires, doesn't eject, won't open or close when warm, YES you have something to worry about.

Old 02-04-2011, 04:00 AM   #34

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Congratulations on the new Kimber Darin.

How's the rifle project coming along?
It's going well. I just got the butt pad fitted and I did a final sanding with some 220. I picked up some of the Tru Oil filler and sealer that I'll put on tomorrow and when that sets up, I'll throw on some oil. I'll get some pics posted as it progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Arcadia Machine & Tool was a machine shop that decided that at a time when pistols were a big commodity, they were a gun shop, pretty much overnight.

You could literally pick up two "identical" models, one would make noise like a Rattler's tail and the other would be near perfect fit by inspection.

If you have one that shoots & performs, you got one of their quality ones and they are quite good, considering the materials, timeframe of the production and the fact that they were pretty far out on the "copy/clone" branch.

If it commonly misfires, doesn't eject, won't open or close when warm, YES you have something to worry about.
OK. This one has never had any problems and it's pretty tight. But it has only had probably 50 rounds run through it.

Thanks
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me