Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Should I be worried about an alloy framed 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks guys. The problem with all the extra safeties is the be allowed into PRK they have to have all that crap. So unfortunately I don't have a choice on that. Also when I researched prices the full stainless gun is actually $100 cheaper. so I went with the HD II.

Thanks guys

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-31-2011, 05:12 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cheaper? Who'da thunk it?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #23

The only thing I can think of is it's 7 oz heavier, so less desirable as a cc so its cheaper.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

For a long time, I didn't care for stainless guns, preferring the traditional look of blue. However, after having a few of them, I think I prefer the stainless.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-31-2011, 06:10 PM   #25

Plus I like that it won't rust, so I don't have to take care of it.

I keed, I keed...lol.

I am actually starting to like them more. I was very partial to blue.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Plus I like that it won't rust, so I don't have to take care of it.

I keed, I keed...lol.

I am actually starting to like them more. I was very partial to blue.

Actually, it will rust. Not as fast as carbon steel but it will still rust. The stainless used in firearms is a grade that lends itself to machinablity over corrosion resistance. Don't get my wrong, it's far more resistant to corrosion then blue but it still needs a light oiling.

Personally, I love stainless guns and would happily trade my Pro Carry for an HD model any day of the week.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #27

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Lots of great choices here but when I want a pistol I absolutely know I can depend on, I'll reach for my Colt Series '70. After 35 years I still have no reason to doubt it.

Can't say the same for the Star PD I bought in the early '80s, I lost confidence in it after a broken firing pin and the soft alloy frame. The harsh recoil is noticeable and can't be good for the frame. The Star does work after I found a gunsmith who fabricated a firing pin and it is light but Jeff Cooper was right when he summed it up saying "carry a lot, shoot very little". No doubt there are better choices today but I suspect Colonel Cooper's advice still is true of many alloy frame 45s.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-31-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5276 Times on 2751 Posts
Likes Given: 333

you have to really be sure that the gun maker is using grades of stainless for slide and frame that dont bind when the gun warms up. this can happen with cheap stainless guns. AMT had big issues doing this when they started making their 45 hardballer, 22mag, and 30 carbine pistols. its one of several reasons the company tanked.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 AM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
AMT had big issues doing this when they started making their 45 hardballer, 22mag, and 30 carbine pistols. its one of several reasons the company tanked.
Yeah. That was definitely one of the reasons.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you have to really be sure that the gun maker is using grades of stainless for slide and frame that dont bind when the gun warms up. this can happen with cheap stainless guns. AMT had big issues doing this when they started making their 45 hardballer, 22mag, and 30 carbine pistols. its one of several reasons the company tanked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Yeah. That was definitely one of the reasons.
My father has an AMT 380 back up. Is there anything that we should be on the look out for?

AND I bought a new Kimber HDII for $780, now for the CA 10 day wait.
Thomas Jefferson