Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Should I be worried about an alloy framed 1911?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Should I be worried about an alloy framed 1911?

Ok I decided on my plan. I'm gonna convert my Custom II to 460 and buy a 4" Kimber. So you all ready for more questions?

1. Most of the 4" have alloy frames. I am pretty leery of an aluminum frame, should I be?

2. I can't decide between these three.
Pro Carry II black steel slide/alloy frame
Pro Carry II SS slide/alloy frame
Pro Carry HD II all SS

They range from $728-$928, but what I can't figure out is why the all stainless HD II is cheaper than Pro Carry II that has an alloy frame?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #2

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I know John Moses Browning would've used alloy if it had been as good as it is today. (He told me so.)

Unless you are going to run 1,000's of rounds a month or feed it a steady diet of Buffalo Bore +P+ ammo you have nothing to worry about.

I have several thousand rounds through Canebrake and the feed ramp isn't even broke in yet! Of course it is a Colt, not a Kimber.

There's only one Kimber I'd consider for EDC:

But not until I get my NH-T3

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-28-2011, 11:52 PM   #3

Whoa! From what I have read about the 460 Rowland from Clark Custom, an alloy frame is a big NO - NO! They already have issues with steel framed 1911's that are not properly heat treated/forged (like Taurus). You are perhaps inviting a very short life for your gun with an alloy frame.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #4

Cane honest question. What's the difference between a Kimber pro carry II and a comparable colt? The reason I lean toward Kimber is the gun is "match grade" with a good trigger, extended safety and beavertail safety which to someone with no gunsmithing abilities that is a huge plus. Additionally if you could buy a 4" and the SS frame was the same price as the alloy, would you still buy the alloy?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
Whoa! From what I have read about the 460 Rowland from Clark Custom, an alloy frame is a big NO - NO! They already have issues with steel framed 1911's that are not properly heat treated/forged (like Taurus). You are perhaps inviting a very short life for your gun with an alloy frame.
I think you missed my question. My custom II is getting converted. The alloy frame is going to be my next purchase.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by parinoid54 View Post
First Canebrake is my 45 EDC and it started life as a Defender 3";

^ Then

^ & Now

Fenrir (460) is my SS XSE 5" Government

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Cane honest question. What's the difference between a Kimber pro carry II and a comparable colt? The reason I lean toward Kimber is the gun is "match grade" with a good trigger, extended safety and beavertail safety which to someone with no gunsmithing abilities that is a huge plus. Additionally if you could buy a 4" and the SS frame was the same price as the alloy, would you still buy the alloy?
Cane^^^^^^^
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Cane honest question. What's the difference between a Kimber pro carry II and a comparable colt? The reason I lean toward Kimber is the gun is "match grade" with a good trigger, extended safety and beavertail safety which to someone with no gunsmithing abilities that is a huge plus.
Street price is about the same. I'm biased so the Colt is a no brainer. Plus the Kimber has a sh!t-load more MIM parts. And what exactly is "match grade"? My Remington 1911R1 has a [* snot bubble *] "match grade" barrel and when I compare it to my XSE's, I'll take the Colt barrel every time. Only the Colt Gold Cups have "match grade" barrels.

Quote:
Additionally if you could buy a 4" and the SS frame was the same price as the alloy, would you still buy the alloy?
Every time, why carry the extra weight?

If I were to buy a 4.25" Commander today it would be the Colt XSE Lightweight Commander Model O4860XSE.

I'd slap on a Wilson Combat, Beavertail Grip Safety, Drop-In, Commander, Stainless, $37.95

429sc.jpg

Beavertail Grip Safety | Drop-In | Commander | Stainless-Wilson Combat

mg2.jpg

A Smith and Alexander GMAS - Gov't Model Arched Stainless Mag-Guide/MSH, $78.95

Smith & Alexander - "The Mag-Guide People"

And order up a six-pac of Tripp Research Gen II Cobra Mags.

Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines

- orangello

Old 01-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #9

Lol...Cane, that's why I put "" around match grade cause I know it ain't real match grade. What is MIM?

Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The start....

demotivational-posters-let-me.jpg