Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Should i upgrade the internal parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
...the recoil springs on small 1911 style pocket guns regardless of maker need to be replaced every 500-700 rounds. not replacing those is what leads the interweb wizards of smart to think the internals are junk.

its like running your car for 25,000 miles never changing the oil and blame the engine for being junk when it implodes.
Come on 500-700, don't ya think that's a little exaggerated? Any gun manufactured that needs a changing of parts that quickly should be considered junk.

As for the car analogy, not a little exaggerated, but extremely so, and invalid. Both are mechanical pieces of equip thus oil in car is like oil in gun. Springs in gun is nothing similar to any mechanical part of engine, but like Springs and/or shocks/struts. Literally a straight comparison.

Man The things people will say. I swear logic is nonexistent online. No offense Jon, I know you're knowledgable and all, moreso than I about guns, but that does not equate to overall intelligence or rational thought. None of this follows such a train.

Then again, I've said more than my fair share of stupid things online and on this forum. Lol I can admit it! Haahahaha

Old 12-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #12

Liked 215 Times on 134 Posts

When I went and looked at 1911's I to was worried about sub-par parts used in compromise,like MIM and the like.

But im not familiar enough with the 1911 to trust myself to replacing a bunch of parts on my first ons.

So I bought a Dan Wesson VBOB, all bar stock/tool steel internals. Problem solved.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Come on 500-700, don't ya think that's a little exaggerated? Any gun manufactured that needs a changing of parts that quickly should be considered junk.

As for the car analogy, not a little exaggerated, but extremely so, and invalid. Both are mechanical pieces of equip thus oil in car is like oil in gun. Springs in gun is nothing similar to any mechanical part of engine, but like Springs and/or shocks/struts. Literally a straight comparison.

Man The things people will say. I swear logic is nonexistent online. No offense Jon, I know you're knowledgable and all, moreso than I about guns, but that does not equate to overall intelligence or rational thought. None of this follows such a train.

Then again, I've said more than my fair share of stupid things online and on this forum. Lol I can admit it! Haahahaha
these are the experts on gun springs. they arent out to screw anyone over.

http://www.gunsprings.com/faq

Quote:
Wolff springs are made with the highest grade materials and workmanship. Most Wolff [recoil] springs will remain stable for many thousands of rounds. Some recoil springs in compact pistols, especially where dual springs are used or are replaced by a single spring may require changing after 500 - 1500 rounds. Springs that become rusty, bent or otherwise damaged should always be replaced. Again, changes you observe in your firearm's performance are the best indicators that a change is needed.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4474 Times on 2359 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
When I went and looked at 1911's I to was worried about sub-par parts used in compromise,like MIM and the like.

But im not familiar enough with the 1911 to trust myself to replacing a bunch of parts on my first ons.

So I bought a Dan Wesson VBOB, all bar stock/tool steel internals. Problem solved.
just a small note on mim parts. mim can be stronger than billet parts if done correctly. colt doesnt use mim on internals that are under wear and stress. you only find mim on colt 1911 on non critical things like sights, mag release buttons, grip screw inserts etc

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #15

Liked 215 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

just a small note on mim parts. mim can be stronger than billet parts if done correctly. colt doesnt use mim on internals that are under wear and stress. you only find mim on colt 1911 on non critical things like sights, mag release buttons, grip screw inserts etc
I know it CAN be done to be real strong nowadays,but nobody i asked had any convincing information on who DOES make it right and who to avoid. So I personally opted to squeeze the wallet a little tighter,save a little longer... And buy something that I don't have any doubts about,no matter how small or unwarranted. Maybe I just paid for piece of mind... But I don't have buyers remorse yet,and I've never spent that much money on anything besides a truck before.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

I posted a thread a while ago asking people to post pictures of broken MIM parts from firearms.

No pictures have been posted yet.

(The cam in your car was made by MIM, has it broke yet?)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

People Like This 
Old 12-20-2012, 03:07 AM   #17

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

these are the experts on gun springs. they arent out to screw anyone over.

http://www.gunsprings.com/faq
It's all about key functioning words.

Excerpts:

- most wolff springs should last several thousands of rounds.

- some wolff springs, such as a dual spring system, used in compact pistols may need replacing 500-1500.

Operative words here... most! Then some and may.

From there it takes a linguistic understanding or lawyers mind to comprehend that what they're saying... which is that very few guns require changing of Springs more than several thousands of rounds. Those that MIGHT are typically compact and utilize a dual spring system. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. Just my thought.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:28 AM   #18
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16885 Times on 9781 Posts
Likes Given: 44039

personally, my recommendation is shoot it the way it came out of the box. shoot the snot out of it. worry about replacing only when something starts to become a problem.

if it ain't broke, then don't fix it. now there's nothing wrong with customizing it to suit your needs, such as thinner grips, longer thumb safety, ect., ect.,,,but the internals i would leave alone unless there was a problem.

just recently i customized my AC Commander, and did quite a bit of work to it, but all the internals are still the factory parts and some are even the MIM type parts. they will not be replaced until i have some sort of problem with them.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Yes thank you guys for the inputs. I will leave the internals alone. Most probably i'd change the grips.
Anyone knows links or videos of fully assembly or deassembly the defender?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #20

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Yes thank you guys for the inputs. I will leave the internals alone. Most probably i'd change the grips.
Anyone knows links or videos of fully assembly or deassembly the defender?
Have your LGS show you how to take it apart. (and put it back together)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello