Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Should i upgrade the internal parts? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/should-i-upgrade-internal-parts-78740/)

okdonk 12-18-2012 07:59 AM

Should i upgrade the internal parts?

I'm new to 1911. I'll be picking up my Colt Defender 9mm this thursday at my LGS. It's on transit as we speak. This will be my first Colt 1911. Not sure if Defender falls into 1911 or not :).
My question, what internal or external parts should i upgrade? I was reading on some forums, people like Wilson Combat internal parts. Are they worthy? Are the parts will make it better? If i were going to buy additional mags, should i get Colt mags or Wilson's mags? The gun will not be my EDC for sure.
So please feed me with your wealthy 1911 knowledges. Thank you.

Chainfire 12-18-2012 09:28 AM

I would shoot it. If it works as designed I would leave it alone. I bought my SA 1911 in 1994 and I have shot the dickens out of it. It still has all of the original parts, including magazines, and it works perfectly.

danf_fl 12-18-2012 09:34 AM

I agree with Chainfire.
If you shoot the thing "Like you're tryin' to break it", You will identify what parts need to be replaced.
Then should it need something during the break in period, the company cannot blame you for messin' with it.

qwiksdraw 12-18-2012 11:47 AM

That awkward moment when you realize the previous two replies said exactly what you would have said....!

HOSSFLY 12-18-2012 11:49 AM

Wud you buy a new car & put a new engine & transmission in it?
Shoot the thing ;)

jakewpns 12-18-2012 03:04 PM

That being said if you do get after market parts from wilson, go with their Bullet Proof parts. Otherwise you will be getting the same stuff thats on your gun thats casted. Wilsons Bullet Proof and Ed Browns Hardcore line of parts are forged and machined. So it will hold up longer than parts that are casted. But as the others previously stated, unless you are trying to break your 1911 by shooting, you wont really notice the difference

okdonk 12-18-2012 09:32 PM

Thx for the inputs guys. I guess i'll just stick with the stock parts for the time being. Till i fully learn how to completely field strip it.

BeyondTheBox 12-19-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY (Post 1056094)
Wud you buy a new car & put a new engine & transmission in it?
Shoot the thing ;)

More like lowering Springs and headers. .. and yes I absolutely would!

Chainfire 12-19-2012 11:08 PM

One other issue in swapping parts is that many parts need to be expertly fitted to function properly. It is not always just dropping in "drop in" parts.

JonM 12-19-2012 11:09 PM

the baby 1911's defender/newagent arent meant to be target guns :) they are ccw guns. means carry a lot shot a little. nothing wrong with the colt internals. if you plan on running a lot of ammo first thing is new recoil springs to keep in reserve. the recoil springs on small 1911 style pocket guns regardless of maker need to be replaced every 500-700 rounds. not replacing those is what leads the interweb wizards of smart to think the internals are junk.

its like running your car for 25,000 miles never changing the oil and blame the engine for being junk when it implodes.