Should I?? trade XDSC9 for 1911 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum >

Should I?? trade XDSC9 for 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I sent you a PM, I'm still trying to decide if I REALLY want to do this.

I said something to my wife about it and she didn't care one way or another, so I've got the green light. I was a little surprised, not as much as when she told me to go ahead and order the 2000 Rainier bullets that just came in stock at midway! I love my wife.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Last edited by spittinfire; 06-23-2009 at 01:35 PM.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Take your time, it's a hard decision for me too. I've been millin it over for weeks now.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3498 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I agree - You really want to make sure you are ready, but once you have a 1911, you will never want to be without one.

Matt's quote is awesome. I agree, someday you will want to just take a whack at someone, and with plastic, all you are really doing is slapping them across the face with a flimsy glove when what you want to do is crush them senseless with a gauntlet.

JD

Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #24

All I can really add to this very interesting line of conversation is my personal experience. Since getting into the whole "bang bang" thing about 10 years ago, I've owned wheel guns and polymer frame automatics, mainly Glocks. My revolvers have been...well...revolvers. They always go bang.

My Glocks, too, have been stellar. NEVER a failure to function of any kind and extremely simple to operate, clean and maintain. Both were .40 cal. I have also owned an FN FiveseveN and a Sccy CPX-1.

I recently purchased my first 1911, a Colt Commander, stainless steel 4.25 inch barrel. As you might see in another thread I recently posted, in my first 14 rounds ever fired through a .45, I'm as accurate at 7 yards as I ever was with either of my Glocks, subcompact or full-size, and I have a much bigger round doing bad things to bad people downrange.

While the 9mm has, historically, killed a great many people deader than Sadaam's nuts, the .45 was, plain and simple, designed to put mean angry motivated people on their butts and make them stay there.

If it's me in your situation, and you've got a 9mm you're not quite sure what to do with and plenty of ammunition and had the fever for the flavor of a .45, I'd go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Josh
http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

deader than Sadaam's nuts = thanks for the laugh, I needed it this morning.

Thanks for the reply. I've already got an XD45 and if you called me up and said, hey, lets head tot he range, that would be the gun I'd grab. I haven't even been carrying the 9 recently because I can't at work so it has to stay in the truck. The 45 is pulling double duty right now. The only thing I like about the sub compact is the shorter grip makes it very easy to conceal. This is a concern for me because I'm a smaller guy, 6' 180-185, I think I could overcome this with the right holster but it is still a concern. Why don't people publish girp lengths?

Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #26

Glad you got a kick out of that.

I feel your pain on concealability vis-a-vis size. I'm five-eight and a buck-eighty myself (I know, I know, I'm eating salads and going to the gym) and I've had the same problem. I'm actually EXTREMELY surprised at how well my Colt Commander hides. Yes it's large and yes it's hefty compared to polymer pistols, but it's slim and with a basic Fobus paddle holster, it really hugs my hip and I think with even a baggy t-shirt it'd all but disappear.

Hope you're having a better day now!

Josh
http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 06-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok, So i'm looking at this more and more. I like the Kimber Compact 2 becuase the height is 1/2" less then the Pro Carry but I would prefer a stainless frame. Does anyone know of such a weapon? Satinless frame, 4" barrel, height 4.75"

Old 06-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 39

how bout something like this,, mine is a 3" but it also comes in a 4"
Should I??  trade XDSC9 for 1911 - 1911 Forum
Specifications: Height (inches) 90 to barrel: 4.75
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 25
Length (inches): 6.8
Magazine capacity: 7
Recoil spring (pounds): 18.0
Full length guide rod

Frame: Material: Aluminum
Finish: Satin silver
Width (inches): 1.28

Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3498 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Ok, So i'm looking at this more and more. I like the Kimber Compact 2 becuase the height is 1/2" less then the Pro Carry but I would prefer a stainless frame. Does anyone know of such a weapon? Satinless frame, 4" barrel, height 4.75"
There are several Colts that fit that bill, of that I am sure, but I am no expert on their models, nor do I want to be.

One option, if you really like that Kimber and HAVE to have Stainless would be an exterior treatment to help protect the weapon.

NP3 from Robar is amazing - I had it done on the internals of my .460 project and the thing is impervious to salt water and just about everything else out there. It was about $300, including shipping, and it took about 4 or 5 weeks I think - but you would DEFINITELY have a 1911 with a chrome colored finish that would last a lifetime....

Otherwise I think you are going to be looking at a ton of 1911 frames that are aluminum with steel slides riding on top...

JD

Old 06-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
As I mentioned earlier, there is the Compact II Stainless: Kimber - Continuing The Legacy

I'm 6', 200# with a little bit of a gut and my Compact disappears in an FBI cant holster if I have anything over it. IWB causes it to all but disappear in shorts and a t-shirt.

Most of my carrying though is done in an old 1911 GI shoulder/chest holster when I'm out in the woods.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.