Should I?? trade XDSC9 for 1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Should I?? trade XDSC9 for 1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Should I?? trade XDSC9 for 1911

Alright, I bought an XDSC 9mm for a carry gun and in hopes that my wife would shoot it but she doesn't like it. She's in love with the SP101 I bought her so we're good. Anyway, after spending time with the round I've decided that I don't really like 9mm. I would rather shoot a 45 then a 9. I've also been fighting the 1911 bug, I want one. Right now I don't have the cash, we're getting ready to move, job stuff etc....BUT! if I unload the XD and the 1500 or so 9mm rounds I have, I could fund a 1911.
What do you guys think??
Should I keep the 9 around in case the S really does HTF, 9s are everywhere and so is ammo. Or should I jump into a new 1911 and liquify my 9mm stuff. I can't decide.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

In a heartbeat...

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Is this question for real??

Okay, having 1500 rounds of 9mm would be handy - but a pistol is only to fight with UNTIL you can get your hands on a rifle.

Having said that, a 9mm round isn't as good as .45 cal - I don't care what they tell you in the manual.

A 1911 is something that every man should have - because it's a pistol the way Odin The Allfather intended it to be. Steel. With a frame mounted safety, night sights and no damn plastic.

I would make that trade in the same heartbeat Matt is talking about....

JD

Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Is this question for real??

Okay, having 1500 rounds of 9mm would be handy - but a pistol is only to fight with UNTIL you can get your hands on a rifle.

Having said that, a 9mm round isn't as good as .45 cal - I don't care what they tell you in the manual.

A 1911 is something that every man should have - because it's a pistol the way Odin The Allfather intended it to be. Steel. With a frame mounted safety, night sights and no damn plastic.

I would make that trade in the same heartbeat Matt is talking about....

JD

I knew your response!

OK, so if I go for it, what platform would you recommend. I should probably end up with around $800-1000 to play with. I'll probally make this my primary carry gun since it's the same size as my XD45 but slimmer. 4" or less and I would prefer stainless.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I knew your response!

OK, so if I go for it, what platform would you recommend. I should probably end up with around $800-1000 to play with. I'll probally make this my primary carry gun since it's the same size as my XD45 but slimmer. 4" or less and I would prefer stainless.
Kimber Compact II Stainless. Their triggers are just dreamy.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
I knew your response!

Kimber Pro Carry HD 2 would be in that ball park from a Master Dealer. It needs night sights in my opinion, but it fits your criteria. Only problem is that it's bushingless bull barrel, so field stripping is a pain in the rear....

Eclipse Series are a bit more money, but you can find them used in your price range and these things are tack drivers. Brett has one and it's a well built piece of kit that shoots everything you feed it.

I am sure there are a couple of Colts out there that Cane will recommend, and I know there is a Springfield or two that would fit the burget - but these two pistols would both treat you right.

Taurus isn't making a 1911 in 4", that I know of, and their site seems to be down at the moment.

I would stay away from the lower end priced 1911's because you are sacrificing quality, and in a carry weapon, that is something that don't want to do.

JD

Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Field stripping them is easy. You just need a pin to keep the front end of the guide rod attached to the back end.

Roger Waters

Old 06-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Field stripping them is easy. You just need a pin to keep the front end of the guide rod attached to the back end.
I wouldn't say easy - it's a pain, and you have to remember to carry that damn "L" shaped pin, or you have to bobby pin your hat so you always have one.

It's just not the best design is all I am saying... If you need a tool to field strip it, it's not the best option in my mind.

My thought is, I should be able to break the weapon down to cleaning status without any cool gadgets.

But, that is just me....

JD

Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Alright, I bought an XDSC 9mm for a carry gun and in hopes that my wife would shoot it but she doesn't like it. She's in love with the SP101 I bought her so we're good. Anyway, after spending time with the round I've decided that I don't really like 9mm. I would rather shoot a 45 then a 9. I've also been fighting the 1911 bug, I want one. Right now I don't have the cash, we're getting ready to move, job stuff etc....BUT! if I unload the XD and the 1500 or so 9mm rounds I have, I could fund a 1911.
What do you guys think??
Should I keep the 9 around in case the S really does HTF, 9s are everywhere and so is ammo. Or should I jump into a new 1911 and liquify my 9mm stuff. I can't decide.
Since you already have an xd45 ,why not? I don't care for 9mm either.

I keep tossing the same thing around. I have an xd40sc and being on these boards makes me want a 1911 to see what all the fuss is about.

Nope, not gonna do it..45 ammo is hard to find.....yes I will, i'll just buy bulk! Nah, no need for a 1911, my xd40 is awesome, don't want to part with it....yes, I should do this already!! nah,yep,nah,yep....

My head hurts.......

Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Since you already have an xd45 ,why not? I don't care for 9mm either.

I keep tossing the same thing around. I have an xd40sc and being on these boards makes me want a 1911 to see what all the fuss is about.

Nope, not gonna do it..45 ammo is hard to find.....yes I will, i'll just buy bulk! Nah, no need for a 1911, my xd40 is awesome, don't want to part with it....yes, I should do this already!! nah,yep,nah,yep....

My head hurts.......
I know the feeling. I shot my friend's Kimber pro carry 2 and liked it but I don't really want an alloy frame. I'm not worried about ammo, I have plenty and the means to make plenty more.

JD, you mentioned the exact two I was looking at. Found a used Elcipse pro 2 for $800. It's got some wear on it but looks ok. I might PM you the link to get your thoughts.

I'm waiting to see what cane will chime in with...