Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Should I trade and how much should I give (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/should-i-trade-how-much-should-i-give-17502/)

Bigguns911 08-30-2009 03:46 AM

Should I trade and how much should I give

So my father-in-law was over the other day. He was talking about getting a 357 revolver. I showed him my Ruger security six and he loved it. I got it for dirt cheap and it is in good shape. I have wanted a security six for a long time and finally found one. He told me he would be interested in a part trade with some $ for his Colt 1911 commander. I have not seen it but he told me he paid $600. for it. My ? is, how much should I give him for the Colt on top of the trade. The question of doing the trade is an easy one, hell yes for a Colt.

Gojubrian 08-30-2009 06:10 AM

I'd trade him based purely on the info you gave. (not much) hint

SGT-MILLER 08-30-2009 01:20 PM

If you can, look up the values of each firearm, then compare the difference in prices. Sometimes a local gun dealer will help out (they have the fancy books behind their counters with the current sell/trade values).

Keep it fair.

CA357 08-30-2009 05:53 PM

I had a 4" Security Six and I loved it. However, I would have traded it for a Colt Commander in a New York minute.

If the Colt is halfway decent, you can't go wrong.

NGIB 08-30-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 153150)
I had a 4" Security Six and I loved it. However, I would have traded it for a Colt Commander in a New York minute.

If the Colt is halfway decent, you can't go wrong.

What he said. The Security Six is a great gun and I had one for 20 years - uber strong & reliable. But a Colt is a Colt. Assuming similar condition say $250 or so difference in street value (since you're related). TBH, Colt's don't really depreciate...

yazul42 08-30-2009 09:48 PM

See what he'd take in cash for the Colt,,,, keep em' both if possible.

Jeff

Bigguns911 08-31-2009 03:30 PM

Thanks all, I know it is a good trade I just needed some reinforcement to make up my mind. I like the security six but the Colt is like you said a Colt. I just have a had time giving up one gun to get another. I like to keep my guns and just get more but I do not have the extra $'s right. I will talk with him about selling it back to me if he want to sell it some day. Thanks again.

Bigguns911 09-06-2009 05:07 AM

Got it

So we did the trade and I'm happy. I gave him the Ruger and $200.00 cash for the Colt. I cleaned it up and it looks great. Some marks for holster I suspect by all and all in very good shape. I will attempt to put a pic up soon.

CA357 09-06-2009 05:25 AM

As long as everone's happy, that's an excellent trade. Pics and a range report will be expected. :D

Bigguns911 09-13-2009 02:00 AM

Pic's sorry it took so long

2 Attachment(s)
So this is her, she shoots great, 6" plates at 15 yards with no problems. I did get a hell of a pinch for the hammer but that is for not firing this gun much and getting to hi on the back strap. I am happy with the trade and hope to pick up more colts latter.:D