Should I re-blue?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > 1911 Forum > Should I re-blue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default Should I re-blue?

I carry a 1911 on a regular basis and that has caused some wear to start showing on the bluing. Now just general holster wear is not that important to me, however I also have wear around the grips because I shoot this gun at the range a lot too.

When I pull the gun out to put it away at night after carrying all day, usually it has a layer of sweat. I always wipe that off right away. But every now and then I see some spots of surface rust on the left grips from the sweat. Of course I immediately take it to my desk and clean it but I am noticing those spots are appearing over areas of light bluing.

So the question is, should I have it re-blued of adopt a more regular cleaning and oiling process? Would I send it back to the manufacturer or find a good gunsmith?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Soak it in Clp overnight. Getting it reblued is up to you. Personally if I were going to spend the money I'd look into parkerizing.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Soak it in Clp overnight. Getting it reblued is up to you. Personally if I were going to spend the money I'd look into parkerizing.
It's not all that bad. Some CLP removes most of it and that with a fine brash brush removes the rest. As far as parkerizing goes, I really want to keep it as original as possible since it is my first 1911. Maybe in a few years I can afford a officer model with features better suited to carrying.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 09-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8828 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

I have carry guns that I have had reblued when they start to show their age. Hey- they are not collector's items, they are working guns.

You best job is likely to be a factory reblue- but there ARE good smiths that can do a good polish and reblue. However, the challenge is making the distinction between a good smith, and a klutz with a power buffer.

Me- I got a good smith. Now and again I go by the shop and feed him when I don't want anything. Good ones are hard to find. Trying to keep him healthy!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I kinda like leaving it as is with a regular re-oiling. It shows the character of a good used 1911.

But, it's yours.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 09-13-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yeah I just don't want any rust to settle in or constantly keep coming back. Maybe I should get some of them oil wipes and give it a good wiping each time I take it off.

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 09-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

The other option is to Dura-Kote.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #8

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If you will clp your pistol with the aid of heat , a hot light will do , the clp will and does soak into the surface of the metal. Yea it really does. I have used it for almost 40 years , hunted in swamps and rain with firearms seasoned with it and carried working in florida in my front pocket for years. Never had rust. Give very lite coat at night and after a while it just seems you can not wipe it dry anymore. Allways so clp left behind. Beside normal wear on a firearm just looks right. .

Old 09-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I will give that a try hardluk.

So danfl, what is " Dura-Kote"?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233