Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   1911 Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/)
-   -   Should I re-blue? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f57/should-i-re-blue-96967/)

fa35jsf 09-13-2013 12:15 AM

Should I re-blue?

I carry a 1911 on a regular basis and that has caused some wear to start showing on the bluing. Now just general holster wear is not that important to me, however I also have wear around the grips because I shoot this gun at the range a lot too.

When I pull the gun out to put it away at night after carrying all day, usually it has a layer of sweat. I always wipe that off right away. But every now and then I see some spots of surface rust on the left grips from the sweat. Of course I immediately take it to my desk and clean it but I am noticing those spots are appearing over areas of light bluing.

So the question is, should I have it re-blued of adopt a more regular cleaning and oiling process? Would I send it back to the manufacturer or find a good gunsmith?

mountainman13 09-13-2013 12:19 AM

Soak it in Clp overnight. Getting it reblued is up to you. Personally if I were going to spend the money I'd look into parkerizing.

fa35jsf 09-13-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 1370150)
Soak it in Clp overnight. Getting it reblued is up to you. Personally if I were going to spend the money I'd look into parkerizing.

It's not all that bad. Some CLP removes most of it and that with a fine brash brush removes the rest. As far as parkerizing goes, I really want to keep it as original as possible since it is my first 1911. Maybe in a few years I can afford a officer model with features better suited to carrying.

c3shooter 09-13-2013 12:45 AM

I have carry guns that I have had reblued when they start to show their age. Hey- they are not collector's items, they are working guns.

You best job is likely to be a factory reblue- but there ARE good smiths that can do a good polish and reblue. However, the challenge is making the distinction between a good smith, and a klutz with a power buffer.

Me- I got a good smith. Now and again I go by the shop and feed him when I don't want anything. Good ones are hard to find. Trying to keep him healthy!

danf_fl 09-13-2013 10:20 AM

I kinda like leaving it as is with a regular re-oiling. It shows the character of a good used 1911.

But, it's yours.

fa35jsf 09-13-2013 10:57 AM

Yeah I just don't want any rust to settle in or constantly keep coming back. Maybe I should get some of them oil wipes and give it a good wiping each time I take it off.

danf_fl 09-13-2013 02:30 PM

The other option is to Dura-Kote.

hardluk1 09-13-2013 02:50 PM

If you will clp your pistol with the aid of heat , a hot light will do , the clp will and does soak into the surface of the metal. Yea it really does. I have used it for almost 40 years , hunted in swamps and rain with firearms seasoned with it and carried working in florida in my front pocket for years. Never had rust. Give very lite coat at night and after a while it just seems you can not wipe it dry anymore. Allways so clp left behind. Beside normal wear on a firearm just looks right. .

fa35jsf 09-13-2013 05:07 PM

I will give that a try hardluk.

So danfl, what is " Dura-Kote"?

Jagermeister 09-13-2013 05:34 PM